56 customline on the road,finally!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic147264.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By montana ford man - 5 Years Ago
Been working slowly on my car for the last 20 years or so,It has the original 292 and fordomatic.the more I drive it, the better it runs.
By Gene Purser - 5 Years Ago
You have every right to be proud, It looks great! Do you mind sharing info about the rear wheels? Make, width, and backspacing?
I’m not sure about back spacing,I had jc whitney wheel adapters with 15” appliance wheel that came off my 73 tbird and 205 70 15 tires.I never had any issues with them so when I got my new cragar wheels I got 15”x7” on 215 78 15 cooper cobra tires.they fit really nice without rubbing so I’m very happy with them.
By oldcarmark - 5 Years Ago
Looks great. Nice work. Must be excited now that its back on the Road. I do Notice the back is higher than the Front.  That probably helps Tire clearance at the Rear. What is the Measurement (Inches) between bottom of the Frame at the front Leaf Spring Bracket and level Ground?.
Not sure where you are talking about but I reversed the back shackles years ago to give it that look .years ago( late 60’s - early 70’s) that was the style,I still think it looks cool raised up in the back. I guess I’m reliving my youth again but like music,it still is cool.
Reread your post,I measured 12” from the floor of my garage to the frame right at the front spring bracket.
OK That Answers my Question with reversed Shackles. That would give a little more Room for wider Tires, Wasn't sure if You had added a Leaf or 2 maybe? Again nice Job on the Car. 
I sent you a private message
By NoShortcuts - 5 Years Ago
Congratulations!  Looks really good!  Enjoy!

Best Wishes,
Charlie Brown
montana ford man (8/10/2019)
Reread your post,I measured 12” from the floor of my garage to the frame right at the front spring bracket.

Thanks. That makes it about 5-6 Inches Higher than Stock . Creates more room for wider Tires and Rims.
montana ford man (8/10/2019)
I sent you a private message

Thanks for the Pics. Front clearance can always be increased by using a Spacer but You seem to be OK as is. The Rear is another Story because You can't space out much further before U hit the Body. Appreciate the Info. Gives Me an Idea of what room I would end up with using 6" Wide Wheels and 205 75 Tires. Should not be a Problem.
I just put my old tires and wheels on my 55 crown victoria,on the rear they are touching the fender .so now im puzzled why are they too wide? I didnt want to give you a bum steer so this is what I found out. The wheels are 7”Appliance with 205R 70 15 the adapters I have are 1”,somewhere years ago the inner rear fender was flattened so thats why there is more room for tire clearance. I recall now that we used to flatten that part of the fender to gain clearance years ago.as I look at it,raising the rear would also givemore clearance. I dont know if you would want to flatten or cut out that piece of metal inside the fender but thats why I had plenty of room on my 56,but my stock 55 is just touching the tire. Like I said,I didnt want to give you false or erroneous information,I hope this helps.
Dont know what happened with that!
You can delete each extra Post by clicking delete for each One. Probably the difference is the Offset of the Rim. Neutral or Zero offset puts the Hub at the centreline of the rim (middle). + or- Offset moves the hub out or in therefore the Rim sits further in towards the Car or out away from the Car causing Tire to hit Fender. Every Rim in the Catalogs shows offset #'s so U can check Positioning before buying them. At least this is my understanding of Offset..
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
Dont know what happened with that!

Must be an echo from so few people in the hall this morning ... Wink

Any-who, what you are describing is modifying (also possibly widening) the inner and outer wheelhouse to accept wider tires. Also modifying the quarter wheel opening lip and moving the rear leafs closer together. As for the rake, that was the way it was done back then for the car to get traction. The front was left loose (90/10 shocks or worn-out shocks) so at launch the front end would rise and transfer weight to the rear. As it went down the track the front end would settle to cut the air. The rear suspension was tightened so as not to squat. Usually, rear tire width was restricted to no more than 7" for stock classes.

Of course, the look had to be duplicated on a street car for SAT-NITE DRIVE-IN display. Tire squealing, wheel standing and crowd pleasing SOB!

Beautiful car and stance!
Thanks for the info ,nice to have people that actually know what they’re talking about.Iwont bore you with the details but I ordered my wheels and tires at a “Discount Tire” here locally and after one mistake after another I finally got the right wheels and almost the right lug nuts.it only took about 5 weeks . I just assumed they were the experts and knew all there was to know about bolt patterns and wheels etc... boy was I wrong!
By DryLakesRacer - 5 Years Ago
I use American Racing Torque Thrust D's 15 x 6 and it has a 3.66 back space. Clears everything including the exhaust which comes thru the bumper. I have  205's on the front and 215's on the rear. Also clears Wilwood front disc calipers without a spacer.
To be correct you need a line drawn thru the centers of the ball joints to meet the ground at the center of the tread on the ground at ride height.  The "old time" chrome reversed wheels were tough on outer wheel bearings and thru off the correct angle.
montana ford man (8/12/2019)
Thanks for the info ,nice to have people that actually know what they’re talking about.Iwont bore you with the details but I ordered my wheels and tires at a “Discount Tire” here locally and after one mistake after another I finally got the right wheels and almost the right lug nuts.it only took about 5 weeks . I just assumed they were the experts and knew all there was to know about bolt patterns and wheels etc... boy was I wrong!

If You ever want Info regarding Rims,Backspace, Offset, etc the Manufacturers Website is the Place to look..Cragar has a very Informative Site with Explanations about fitting Wheels. I would think most Wheel Companies have similar Sites.