Passenger door latch

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic146923.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By albjerryg - 5 Years Ago
I been looking around for a passenger door lath for my 1955 Vicky but cannot seem to find them. I have found 1955 Truck door latches but they are not the same. thanks for any help Jerry
By paul2748 - 5 Years Ago
Why I don't  know why, the 55 Tbird guys change to the 56 style.  Supposedly, they are better.  I assume the sedans used the same latch?
By miker - 5 Years Ago
Well, my bird has a 56 right rear quarter panel, including the door jamb. It has a hand made spacer to make the 55 latch work. It spaces the striker plate out to line up with the star wheel on the door.

A 56 latch would not work on my left side (stock) door jamb, they’re thicker. But they are better, supposedly that why Ford changed them. Part of the safety upgrade in 56. If I’m wrong, let me know, I’d do the upgrade on both sides.
By oldcarmark - 5 Years Ago
Yes that was part of the Safety upgrades in 56. Supposedly it prevents the Door from coming open in a Collision. Perhaps the One You have is for 1956. The 56 Style Striker on the Door Post has a Plate that covers the Star Wheel when the Door is closed. Who knows what was done to the Car over the last 60+ Years. The Door Latches for 1956-57 Passenger Cars and Thunderbird are available new Repro from Larry's and Casco. I bought One in the Spring for left Side and just received another for the Right Side of my 56. I think they are excellent Quality and are priced at $95.00 each. Less than NOS if You are able to find One.
Sorry I corrected my post I wanted to say 1955 Truck door latch did not work, thanks. Jerry
If You check Larry's Thunderbird or National Parts Depot (NPD) they have correct Car Door Latches. Thunderbird and Passenger Car are the same. NPD has listed for Thunderbird.
OK thanks.
Sorry its Concours and Larry's that have New or Rebuilt exchange Latches not NPD.
Is the door latch on the 1955 Vicky the same as a 1955 T-Bird. Thanks Jerry
Yes. 55 is the same in Cars and T Bird.   1956-57 is the same in Cars & T Bird but not the same as '55..
By carl - 5 Years Ago
albjerryg (7/23/2019)
I been looking around for a passenger door lath for my 1955 Vicky but cannot seem to find them. I have found 1955 Truck door latches but they are not the same. thanks for any help Jerry
Have you considered a good used one,i have both 55 & 56 door latches   Carl

Yes I would but I thought the 55 and 56 were different. If you have a 55 let me know how much. Thanks Jerry
By carl - 5 Years Ago
albjerryg (7/25/2019)
Yes I would but I thought the 55 and 56 were different. If you have a 55 let me know how much. Thanks Jerry
yes they are different I just meant I have both types I will send you a pm  Carl

By Dave C - 5 Years Ago
Check out David Miller here. https://www.facebook.com/groups/771307829901700/ he has a ton of parts cars and parts.

Dave