Heater Hose Installaton

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic146460.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By oldcarmark - 5 Years Ago
Does anyone know if there is a correct way the Heater Hoses should be hooked up. Upper Hose to Manifold or Water Pump? Does it make a Difference?
By DANIEL TINDER - 5 Years Ago
Some feel that reversing the hoses from factory configuration occasionally might help keep the heater core from clogging.
By Ted - 5 Years Ago
There is a correct way.  The water port at the intake manifold behind the thermostat goes to the lower port on the heater core.  The upper port on the heater core goes back to the water pump.  Doing it this way keeps the air burped out of the heater core.
Thank You Ted. I thought maybe there was a correct way to install Hoses but I don't remember ever reading it Anywhere. I am probably not the only One who wondered the same Thing.
I just had a look at mine and of course they are reversed from what they should be. I have to change the Water Valve in the Intake Manifold any way so I will correct that. Thanks Ted.
By DANIEL TINDER - 5 Years Ago
Ted (6/24/2019)
There is a correct way.  The water port at the intake manifold behind the thermostat goes to the lower port on the heater core.  The upper port on the heater core goes back to the water pump.  Doing it this way keeps the air burped out of the heater core.

Initially hesitant to point out the obvious, but then again (upon reflection) it wouldn’t be the first time the artist/draftsman who drew the owner manual/parts catalog’s exploded diagrams had depicted factory components upside down or backward from their proper configuration. So, explanation of functional reasoning is certainly informative.