Rear differential 55 bird.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic145334.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By 55charliebird - 5 Years Ago
What is in the 55 bird, how do I recognize the 9" rear diff.  Thanks.
By dbird - 5 Years Ago
I'm pretty sure the 55-6 'Birds came with a Dana 44.  The obvious difference between the 44 and a Ford 9 inch is a rear cover on the 44 verses the 9 inch drop out third member.  If you have a drop out third member, it could also be an 8 inch which looks much like a 9 but a quick search of the net will show you the differences.  Also, your 55 should have a bolt on universal joint as opposed to the universal being held to the diff yoke by u-bolts.

Don W
55 'Bird, 56 f100
By Rono - 5 Years Ago
http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm
By 55charliebird - 5 Years Ago
wow, what an education....thanks.
By paul2748 - 5 Years Ago
55 and 56 Birds came with a Dana rear axle which has a removable back cover and not a drop out 'pumpkin'.  The same rear used in station wagons.   The TBird  rear had it's own version of lowering blocks (a spring mount that was thicker than the station wagons) to lower the rear.
By miker - 5 Years Ago
I don’t know all the variations, but I know the bearings listed for the bird are smaller (axles too I think), than the axles in my bird. Turns out mine had a truck rear ended swapped in at some point. So if you run into some odd things, think about that. I’m sure mine wasn’t the only bird with a swap from a truck or a wagon. Not a big deal, parts are out there.
By 2721955meteor - 5 Years Ago
miker (4/14/2019)
I don’t know all the variations, but I know the bearings listed for the bird are smaller (axles too I think), than the axles in my bird. Turns out mine had a truck rear ended swapped in at some point. So if you run into some odd things, think about that. I’m sure mine wasn’t the only bird with a swap from a truck or a wagon. Not a big deal, parts are out there.
i need the career for a danna 44 3,7 and down. they changed at that point 4,11and up are different. ct1840@shaw.ca if you have 1 thanks
when i had a 55 bird it had a dans 44,replaced it with a 44 frome ford wagon,trucks used the same nerds but axels diferent wheel bolt pattern

By paul2748 - 5 Years Ago
56 and probably 55 Birds with automatics had a 3.31 ratio.