Timing

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic144593.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By brandon672288 - 5 Years Ago
I didn’t rebuild my engine, but received it back today. The man doing the work is 78 years old. Maybe he’s forgotten some things, but I’m unsure. When #1 is TDC, the lines on harmonic balancer should be around 10 o’clock, but they’re ending up around 2 o’clock. I wanted to check with you guys before removing timing cover. Would this be the results if the 12 links were counted on right side rather than left (oil filter) side? I pulled another harmonic balancer off another engine and tried it. It’s off too...so either both my harmonic balancers have slipped same amount or I have another issue.
By kevink1955 - 5 Years Ago
Are you sure you are using the right cylinder as # 1,  front cylinder on passenger side.  Even if the chain was off it would not effect the timing mark as it is totaly crankshaft connected
By brandon672288 - 5 Years Ago
Yes sir. Front passenger side. I guess my harmonic balancer is off. Just odd they’re both off. Should I buy new one or mark a new TDC?
By charliemccraney - 5 Years Ago
Having the chain installed incorrectly will affect the timing indication, depending on how you are checking.  If using the piston to determine tdc then it won't matter but if using the valves it will matter.  A quick way to determine this is to put the piston at tdc and both valves should either be closed with specified clearance or open very slightly by about the same amount.  If neither of those coincide, then something to do with the timing is incorrect.

If the damper has never been rebuilt or has unknown history, then it probably does need a rebuild.  You do not want to use a questionable damper on your brand new engine.
By darrell - 5 Years Ago
how i check is start on compression stroke put a .20 feeler gauge on the intake valve and keep turning the engine until it pinches.marks on the damper should be close to .018 before.tdc
By darrell - 5 Years Ago
i should add make sure your intake valve is set correct.
By Ted - 5 Years Ago
It's unusual for two consecutive dampers to have their damper rings slipped the same amount but stranger things have happened.  Here’s a drawing showing the relationship of the ‘TDC’ mark in regards to the keyway slot.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c8c83503-4191-4b86-9cd1-a858.jpg 
If the damper ring has slipped, then the damper needs to be replaced or rebuilt.  The damper rings do slip backwards thus becoming loose and rattling against the timing cover. 

By paul2748 - 5 Years Ago
It seems to me, on my Tbird, the the pointer is about two o-clock  - towards the right (passenger) side as that is the side that I check timing.  I'll have to take another look tomorrow. And if I think about it, the 312 in my 54 is about the same.

By charliemccraney - 5 Years Ago
From the front seat of the vehicle, it would be 2 o'clock.  From the radiator, it would be 10 o'clock.
By Rusty_S85 - 5 Years Ago
Hopefully hes pulling number 1 plug and bringing up to tdc on compression stroke.  Ive seen people fail to do this and try to set it on an exhaust stroke.  I did it once before as well while learning.  Couldn't figure out why the engine wouldn't rev it just barely run and would diesel if you cut the key off.
By 55charliebird - 5 Years Ago
my damper has slid backwards but is rubbing against the front engine mount on my 292 55 bird.