High output water pump help

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic144231.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By dbird - 5 Years Ago
  Seems as though I need to replace the water pump on my 55 'Bird and am considering the high output unit available from various suppliers.  My concern is how much additional drag does it add.  I'm already running the alternator and AC on that belt and am worried I might end up putting too much load on the belt, or have to tension the belt so much it would be hard on the bearings.  Any thoughts or experience would help me make the decision.  
   The reason for the high output is heating problems at idle and some when climbing hills.  I have replaced the radiator with an aluminum one, tried various thermostats, larger fan, and a baffle.  
Thanks,
Don

By LordMrFord - 5 Years Ago
Is ignition advance right?
Ethanol in gas burns cooler.
By Ted - 5 Years Ago
The addition of a stainless steel baffle behind the Thunderbird water pumps have been proven to cause more heating problems rather than eliminate them.  I’ve removed several of these which helped lower engine temperatures.  While the removal of those did not solve low rpm or low speed cooling issues in their entirety, it helped.  Towards that end, there are other fixes for the Thunderbird heating issues.

The Casco water pump is specific to the Thunderbird engine using the 1” spacer between the pump and the timing cover.  I’ve not heard of any issues with belt slippage with those pumps.  An alternative to the Casco pump is the Paragon Industries 1” spacer that replaces the original spacer.  This allows the original oem pump to be retained.  Another option is to use both the Casco pump and the Paragon Industries water pump spacer as a pair  Here’s a link to thread that introduced the Paragon Industries water pump spacer. .  Be sure to read the section on timing cover casting issues.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost135031.aspx
By Hoosier Hurricane - 5 Years Ago
I have seen quite a few blocks where the two front water holes had casting flash left when they were punched out at the foundry.  Probably they used a small punch compared to the cast hole size.  I always check this and grind the flash out to the cast hole size, about 1".  Leaving the flash in could restrict water flow. 
By dbird - 5 Years Ago
Thanks for all the help. I thing I'm going to try the water pump first as I'm getting a noise from mine now.  I've looked at the improved spacer, but not ready to spend that much on a guess.

Don
By Florida_Phil - 5 Years Ago
For what it's worth.   My 55 Thunderbird overheated in traffic.  I replaced the stock radiator with a Champion Aluminum radiator ($200).  I removed the stock shroud and fan and use an electric fan that runs all the time.   I run a stock rebuilt water pump with a 170 degree large opening thermostat from NPD.  My engine is a fresh rebuild. You can not make my engine overheat even in the middle of a Florida summer. 
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/27f997db-d2e3-4e43-b08a-b1c5.jpg

By CSPIDY - 5 Years Ago
Along with the high flow thermostat, high flow water pump perigon spacer you can add the reduced size pulley. This will make it run very cool. I’m going with a 180 high flow because mine runs too cool. The aluminum rad really helps to
By 55charliebird - 5 Years Ago
When using the Casco HO water pump, does the baffle need to be installed or can I leave it out.  I doesn't seem to fit because the Casco impeller is bigger than the stock impeller.  Should I leave it out? 
By Ted - 5 Years Ago
55charliebird (3/3/2019)
When using the Casco HO water pump, does the baffle need to be installed or can I leave it out.  I doesn't seem to fit because the Casco impeller is bigger than the stock impeller.  Should I leave it out? 

If you are talking about the stainless steel baffle that is an aftermarket piece, that will not work with the Casco water pump.  The Casco water pump impellors reach much further into the water pump cavity thus promoting additional water flow into the back of the timing cover and then into the block.  As mentioned previously, those baffles do not help with the Thunderbird cooling issues and in many cases simply makes the problem worse.  Leave it out and use it for wall decoration.