What is this on a B manifold

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic144156.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Melly - 5 Years Ago
Can anyone tell me what this is on this manifold?  And what is it used for?  If I have not use for it should I just put a plug in it?http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f2c8fe94-91f3-4dd4-95dd-13bd.jpg for.
By darrell - 5 Years Ago
choke.looks like they have it closed.hard to see
By Hoosier Hurricane - 5 Years Ago
That is an aftermarket heat source for the automatic choke.  It was no doubt installed because the original heat tube was rusted out.  If you are going to a carb with an electric choke, or no choke at all, or a manual choke, you don't need that heat source.  If you are going with an original type hot air choke, you will either have to use that one or replace the original tube.  Then you can just leave the aftermarket one there, or remove it and plug the hole.
By Melly - 5 Years Ago
Thanks for the great information. Great Job!!
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f7e9d20a-d956-4db1-8621-1d1b.jpg
By Melly - 5 Years Ago
So I have been looking for a carb base gasket for my 57 B , four barrel manifold.  The ports a 1.5" ID.  went to NAPA for gasket and the one that but ports measured 1.75".  Have looked online and around at different parts store but so far have not found one with smaller ports.  Any help would be great or maybe I will just try to cut one on my own.  Didn't think that it would such a quest for simple gasket. Would the larger size cause any issuses?  Lucky that the snow just keep building up here so spring not in site.
By charliemccraney - 5 Years Ago
Most aftermarket spacers and manifolds use the larger bore to make them "universal" in regards to available carburetors so the 1.75" gasket is the most common you will find readily available at a store.  It will work. It will just barely seal the bores but the perimeter of the flange should seal well.
If you want a match, try ordering one specifically for a '57 or try a place like Speedway Motors to see if they have a smaller bore gasket.  They do sell spacers and adapters for the early small bore manifolds, so it stands to reason that they sell the gaskets.
By jumpstart - 5 Years Ago
Melly;  A few years ago I found  a  International, one ton truck that had a ford engine in it. It had  G heads and a four barrel manifold.  The markings on the manifold where of International.  I looked in the hollander exchange book for 1962 and it listed that international offered a ford  Y-block.  This was in  one ton, four wheel drive Unit. I still have the heads they are G- Heads. But they are little different.
I checked the thickness and they measured  1. 06 thick. The exhaust manifold on the drivers side had a IH number on it. But it was the same as the ones that go the 55,56,57 T-Bird for the steering colume. When I looked at the block it had been bored .080 over , and had a hole in the block. This truck was in a wrecking Yard in Orland  California.  I did save the heads, manifold,  Dist, Carb and air Cleaner.    Bob
By PF Arcand - 5 Years Ago
Melly:  I ran into the same problem not long ago. Those bigger carb gaskets, like Mr Gasket #55 are quite iffy on a ECZ - B intake due to the design of the mounting area, and risk a vacuum leak. I suspect that some carb issues on B's may be related to vacuum leaks  Our Moderator, Ted, recommends the smaller 1-5/8" opening gaskets. Two types are Interface Solutions N-8092 & Armstrong VB72.. Not sure who may stock them?.. 
By 57RancheroJim - 5 Years Ago
FelPro 375-1909 is made for the Holley 390 cfm, Jegs has them. I found 1.5 Mr Gaskets at my local ORiely
By paul2748 - 5 Years Ago
Check with the Tbird parts suppliers.  They should have the correct gasket with the smaller bores.