57 TBird Distributor Shaft

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic142666.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By paul2748 - 6 Years Ago
A while back there was a discussion about replacement distributor shafts for a non -TBird distributor.  Has any one ran across a replacement shaft for a Tbird (57) distributor
By NoShortcuts - 6 Years Ago
Paul2748.  Approximately a year ago, as I recall, there was one offered on eBay.  The seller had a price of $300 bucks on it.  It was listed for months before it sold.  Are you looking for one Paul?  If so, I think I can put you in touch with someone who may have one.

Charlie
By oldcarmark - 6 Years Ago
paul2748 (12/29/2018)
A while back there was a discussion about replacement distributor shafts for a non -TBird distributor.  Has any one ran across a replacement shaft for a Tbird (57) distributor

If You had the original Ford Part # You could check with some of the Dealers who sell NOS Parts. Dennis Carpenter and Green Auto Parts both have large Quantities of NOS Parts. If You could provide the ID # stamped on the Distributor I have Parts Catalogs and could look up Part # if You give the ID #. There's 2 on Ebay if they are correct. 401635210375  122026929280  Not Cheap.
By Tedster - 6 Years Ago
What exactly distinguishes a '57 distributor shaft from the later versions?

"Not Cheap". Yeah... think those eBay sellers are smoking their socks. The distributor shafts I've seen are plentiful and maybe $25 or so from Mac's and Carpenters. What's difficult to find is the reluctor or distributor cam assembly.
Whatever the Difference these Shafts are specifically T-Bird. I assume the Tach Drive is the difference. B7S prefix. The "S" indicates Thunderbird only. The regular Ford Shafts would be B7A. As I mentioned there are other Sources to check if You have the Part #. Maybe cheaper. Even a Google Search may turn up One for more reasonable Price.
By KULTULZ - 6 Years Ago
The 55/56 and 57 BIRD DIST SHAFTS are unique in that the DIST has a cable driven TACH drive.

1957 is going to be the most unique (B7S 12175-A) in that it was a one year only production piece.

IMO, one is lucky just to find two NOS shafts readily available.
By Tedster - 6 Years Ago
I see that they are different. It looks to me that assuming the actual shaft dimensions are the same (and they may not be) the business end of your existing unit could be pressed on to a plain jane replacement shaft for considerable savings. See the roll pin in the pic?
By Sandbird - 6 Years Ago

I believe the shaft is longer than the one used in the more common car distributor  to accommodate the tach drive gear.

Oldcarmark - neither number works.  I got the number from  KULTULZ  below   (B7S 12175-A )

To the others that replied, thanks.  The Tbird distributor shaft seems to be a one year only (unless the 55 and 56 are the same) as it's longer and has the tach drive as part of it.

oldcarmark (12/30/2018)
paul2748 (12/29/2018)

If You had the original Ford Part # You could check with some of the Dealers who sell NOS Parts. Dennis Carpenter and Green Auto Parts both have large Quantities of NOS Parts. If You could provide the ID # stamped on the Distributor I have Parts Catalogs and could look up Part # if You give the ID #. There's 2 on Ebay if they are correct. 401635210375  122026929280  Not Cheap.

NoShortcuts:  I will be looking for one as soon as I get the distributor back (the shaft has been removed but deemed bent).  Any help you can give is appreciated.  I will contact you when I am ready.  While I have a replacement distributor, if I can fix the old one it will be good.

NoShortcuts (12/30/2018)
Paul2748.  Approximately a year ago, as I recall, there was one offered on eBay.  The seller had a price of $300 bucks on it.  It was listed for months before it sold.  Are you looking for one Paul?  If so, I think I can put you in touch with someone who may have one.

Charlie

paul2748 (12/30/2018)
Oldcarmark - neither number works.  I got the number from  KULTULZ  below   (B7S 12175-A )

To the others that replied, thanks.  The Tbird distributor shaft seems to be a one year only (unless the 55 and 56 are the same) as it's longer and has the tach drive as part of it.

oldcarmark (12/30/2018)
paul2748 (12/29/2018)

Paul the #'s I provided on my first Post are listing #'s on Ebay if that is what You are referring to. 2 Shafts for Sale under the Part # that Kultulz provided.
By KULTULZ - 6 Years Ago
The Tbird distributor shaft seems to be a one year only (unless the 55 and 56 are the same) as it's longer and has the tach drive as part of it.

The 55/56  BIRD (B5S 12175-B) is LOAD-O-MATIC whereas the 1957 BIRD (B7S 12175-A) is DUAL ADVANCE. There is your difference.
By NoShortcuts - 6 Years Ago
Paul2748.  Oldcarmark is correct.  There are (were) two '57 'Bird distributor shafts offered on eBay when the info was originally provided here on our Forum.  Ebay seller Tom Sestak has either withdrawn his distributor shaft listing or sold the shaft he had listed.

Paul, when you bring-up the eBay Motors web page, enter the eBay listing number in the space near the top of the page just to the right of the red eBay name.  Look for the faint lettering 'Search for Anything' and enter the listing number there.  After entering the number, click the blue Search button to the far right.
Enter just one number for each time you search.  401635210375  is (was) one.  122026929280 is the second.  In checking this morning, Tom Sestak's 401635210375 listing no longer shows.

Kultulz's Ford part number for the '57 'Bird distributor shaft is correct.  B7S 12175-A  Other Forum members are correct, one of the numerous 'T-Bird parts suppliers or Green Sales may have one of these shafts in stock.  I don't think of it as a part in high demand

Frankly, I'm surprised that the shaft in your distributor was bent. I'm unclear how that could have happened with the bushing supporting it high in the distributor body and the engine block supporting the end of the distributor shaft below the distributor gear.
NoShortcuts (12/31/2018)
Paul2748.  Oldcarmark is correct.  There are (were) two '57 'Bird distributor shafts offered on eBay when the info was originally provided here on our Forum.  Ebay seller Tom Sestak has either withdrawn his distributor shaft listing or sold the shaft he had listed.

Paul, when you bring-up the eBay Motors web page, enter the eBay listing number in the space near the top of the page just to the right of the red eBay name.  Look for the faint lettering 'Search for Anything' and enter the listing number there.  After entering the number, click the blue Search button to the far right.
Enter just one number for each time you search.  4016352100375  is (was) one.  122026929280 is the second.  In checking this morning, Tom Sestak's 4016352100375 listing no longer shows.
 Kultulz's part number for the '57 'Bird distributor shaft is correct.  B7S 12175-A  Other Forum members are correct, one of the numerous 'T-Bird parts suppliers may have one of these shafts in stock.  I don't think of it as a part in high demand

Frankly, I'm surprised that the shaft in your distributor was bent. I'm unclear how that could have happened with the bushing supporting it high in the distributor body and the engine block supporting the end of the distributor shaft below the distributor gear.

Sestaks # is 401635210375. Not sure if I put it down wrong on my first Post. Anyway it is there along with the other One. Green Auto Parts is out of Stock. There are several "Watchers" on both those Listings.
Found another One doing a Google Search. RPN  Parts. 888-666-0916 $250.00 including Shipping. These Types of Parts are out there. The Trick is to have the Part # and start looking from there. Wouldn't surprise Me if Carpenter had One (or more). He has a massive amount of NOS Parts not shown on His regular Website. You have to call and Enquire.
By Tedster - 6 Years Ago
Wouldn't surprise me if Carpenter had one (or more). He has a massive amount of NOS parts not shown on his regular website. You have to call and inquire.

That's true. What I could never figure out, Rearcounter.com will show inventory that their site (Carpenters) does not. How does that work?
If Carpenter shows it You have to call them to Verify. They have Someone who just looks after the NOS Stuff. They used to show NOS on their Website but not anymore although they have a lot.
I know - but I was thinking if the shafts may have been the same

KULTULZ (12/31/2018)
The Tbird distributor shaft seems to be a one year only (unless the 55 and 56 are the same) as it's longer and has the tach drive as part of it.

The 55/56  BIRD (B5S 12175-B) is LOAD-O-MATIC whereas the 1957 BIRD (B7S 12175-A) is DUAL ADVANCE. There is your difference.

oldcarmark - I tried the second number again and it worked - Thanks

oldcarmark (12/30/2018)
paul2748 (12/30/2018)

oldcarmark (12/30/2018)
paul2748 (12/29/2018)

Paul the #'s I provided on my first Post are listing #'s on Ebay if that is what You are referring to. 2 Shafts for Sale under the Part # that Kultulz provided.

By FORD DEARBORN - 6 Years Ago
The 57 tach drive strib shaft is about 2" longer than the non tach strib and the bushing is a long way from the hole near the bottom of the casting for driving out/in the tach drive gear roll pin. I believe if it was a stubborn 60 year old roll pin and the shaft wasn't solidly supported at the bottom end of the strib, the shaft could become bent. I remember only one bent shaft and it was from a tach drive strib. I'm only mentioning this as something to be aware of when installing the new precious $$ shaft. Good luck and Happy Y New Year to all on this great site......................http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/df82fdca-161c-45d1-9032-b90f.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c9ef0bed-aa26-4dbc-8e88-a0a2.jpg
By Tedster - 6 Years Ago
I have an excess distributor that is bent, history unknown, it is a wonder how that happens. Can't be anything good. It's possible a machine shop could straighten yours, since they are kind of spendy?
By paul2748 - 5 Years Ago
Tedster - something to look into.  Thanks for the suggestion
By NoShortcuts - 5 Years Ago
Paul2748.  Tom Sestak's listing of a '57 'Bird distributor shaft will presently not come-up in doing an eBay number listing search because this eBay flag is on the item . . .

This seller is currently away until Jan 07, 2019, and is not processing orders at this time. You can add this item to your watch list to purchase later.

By NoShortcuts - 5 Years Ago
Paul2748.  I think Ford Dearborn's take on what happened to your distributor shaft is exactly right.  Tedster's suggestion of straightening the distributor shaft was a GooD one.  Consider going to any good machine shop.  It doesn't have to be an automotive machine shop, but you need someone with an engine lathe, 4 jaw or collet chuck, an arbor press, and a machinist's dial indicator.

IF you can't find someone you're comfortable turning to, get back to me.  I've got a friend that I'm sure would be willing to do it for you.  Your cost will be just the shipping both ways.  Smile

Regards,
Charlie