Off Topic - Modeling Hobby

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic142580.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Rusty_S85 - 6 Years Ago
Ive asked this around and haven't really got any feed back on it that was helpful.

Ive gotten back into building plastic models after being away from it for a good 15 - 20 years.  I picked up in Nov 2017 a AMT retro box 1956 Ford Victoria in 1/25 scale, its the 3 in 1 that you can build stock, custom, or racing that has opening doors and steerable wheels.  I found a company by the name of Star Models that makes resin bodies for different kits to effectively kitbash them into something else.  So in this case my Victoria hardtop would lose its body for a Star models Club Sedan resin body.  How ever the guy that sells them online which is the only place I found told me last December that he was out of stock but would email me when more comes in.  As of 1 year later not a single email reply back for this body.  Sucks for me because I was going to shave the door handles off the Victoria body and scribe the back door into the club sedan body and make a town sedan to replicate my personal vehicle.

I wanted to throw some feelers out to see if anyone on here do this hobby themselves and if on the off chance they know of Star Models and could nudge me in the right direction for finding this resin body.

This is a photo from Scale Mates to show what I am talking about in case no one knows of the brand Star Models.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/45a227eb-8c05-4b31-be3a-b169.png

And a little teaser of the still unfinished first build I have done in 15-20 years.  Naturally it would be a Y-block powered Ford.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/5b9531ed-dda7-448e-bd55-b458.jpg

And as far as I got before I put it up due to the weather not being right to spray.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/076d8e39-d0fe-4582-9459-4207.jpg

Still need to make the plug wire holders and do some touch up here and there.  But not bad for a first time super detailing a model car which I hope will result in my '56 Victoria conversion to a '56 Fairlane Town Sedan will come out even better.

Just need to find the Star Models club sedan body which no one can tell me about them.  I don't know if I want to try emailing that guy again after a year to see whats up cause for all I know he hasn't emailed me cause he hasn't gotten any more in stock.
By kevink1955 - 6 Years Ago
Nice work on the chassis and drive train, I to would like to find a 56 club sedan model to duplicate my car.

I do have to admit that after the run of hacking we had here last week I thought the wrong thing when I saw MODELING HOBBY in the title LOL
kevink1955 (12/25/2018)
Nice work on the chassis and drive train, I to would like to find a 56 club sedan model to duplicate my car.

I do have to admit that after the run of hacking we had here last week I thought the wrong thing when I saw MODELING HOBBY in the title LOL

Probably a bad choice of title but with the run of adult content being spammed I didn't want to simply put modeling as that would raise some red flags in of itself.

From the little I found out Star Models is the place to get this resin body for the old AMT kit.  I just recently found out from someone on fb of all places in one of my hobby groups that Star Models don't make anything they just are a distributor for many resin parts.  I heard the guy I talked with via email is good and it might take some time but he is good about getting in touch when he finally does get the items back in stock.

I just don't like sitting on this AMT kit and not knowing if I will be able to get the body or not.

Right now I am on HobbyLinc looking at some cheapie kits to use the $5 discount I have before I lose it.  Was going to pick up one of those Eduard Avia biplanes in 1/72 scale for $13 but then I found they also offer the same kit in 1/48 scale for $24.  I know 1/72 is small but with a biplane I don't think I could go for something like that.  Would love to get some more cars, my ideal goal would be to get a bunch of '56 Fords and build a diorama of the dealership my '56 came from.  I don't know how many cars were on the lot nor how they were positioned but it does leave the mind open to imagination and I could put my vehicle there.  But as of now I am looking at obtaining two of the resin bodies as I want to do a diorama of the garage my car was in before I brought it home.  I got enough photos I could detail the rust and dust properly.  I also will need a body to do a restored/original version.  I guess the original version I could incorporate into a dealership diorama.

In any case things aren't that cheap the resin bodies are $41 but then again since I don't know how many vehicles were on the lot at the time I guess I could limit the club sedan/town sedan models and focus mainly on the sportier cars, say thunderbirds, victorias, crown victorias and then have one club sedan and then my town sedan.

Also thanks, first time I did that kind of detailing.  Was a pita with the ignition wires I need to learn a better way of attachment and technique cause I ran short on the wire when it came time to route the wires with the correct firing order.
By Robin272 - 6 Years Ago
I am also building modell cars. Have not heard of that brand. I have a station wagon from Jimmy flintstone. Have you searched his sites for the sedan ? I am Shure i have seen a sedan there before.
Robin272 (12/26/2018)
I am also building modell cars. Have not heard of that brand. I have a station wagon from Jimmy flintstone. Have you searched his sites for the sedan ? I am Shure i have seen a sedan there before.

I looked at Jimmy`s site I didn't see a '56 Sedan listed.

What I found out is Star models is just a reseller they don't make their own stuff they just sell other peoples stuff.  Which sucks but he does have some good selection of bodies though.

I just as of last night came up with a diorama I am throwing around in my head of building the dealership where my '56 came from.  Spent the better part of 4 hours last night working out a diorama plan cause if I built the whole building and the whole parking lot in 1/25 scale the diorama would be 6ft x 10 1/2 ft.  Way too big to display.  So I cut it down and kept cutting it down till finally I chopped majority of the building off but positioned the building in a corner on a diamond shape so I maintained all the art deco styling of the building but eliminating the service bay area of the dealership.  One guy on the forum I am on recommended I do like a modular build, build the diorama in two pieces that can be slid together to make the complete diorama.  Would work on saving space and in theory I could do a service bay diorama of some new cars being serviced and then put it together if I ever took it to a model show.

This is the dealership here.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f87a5194-4ab4-4185-96ac-0975.jpg

If I do the service department as a modular piece then I would have to figure out how to scratch build a F600 to build this car hauler so I could have a delivery being made to the dealership.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/fbdaed96-f0cd-4de7-887f-6e61.jpg
By junkyardjeff - 6 Years Ago
I still build models during the winter but have too much to do in the garage so not much might happen at the model table this year.
By Rusty_S85 - 5 Years Ago
junkyardjeff (12/30/2018)
I still build models during the winter but have too much to do in the garage so not much might happen at the model table this year.

Same here I haven't done anything on the kits I have in 6 months now.  Been focused on the Fairlane too much and the weather hasn't been working with me for airbrushing outside.

Plus there is the money issue with work slowing down.  Got a few kits I want to get but they are hundreds of dollars im looking at.