Distributor FBO or MSD

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic139797.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Brent - 6 Years Ago
Hoping to get input on the FBO and MSD Y-block offerings. I am planning to run 350hp on the street. I see the FBO fits and looks better.

By 62bigwindow - 6 Years Ago
FBO for sure. MSDs quality has been slipping. From what I've been hearing they are outsourcing to the Chinese.
By 30 coupe - 6 Years Ago
Pardon my ignorance, but what is an FBO Dist/Ign. syst?  I don't recognize the initials. I am getting older, and may just be forgetting.  Thanks
Look at this on eBay
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F222649424535
By MoonShadow - 6 Years Ago
FBO appears to be a stock distributor with a bit of machining plus a Pertronics unit. Not worth over $500 in my book. You can find a 57 up distributor, machine the base and install a Pertronics for a heck of a lot less. I don't know how much MSD is invested in China but I do know that the low priced MSD's you see on EBAY are imported knock offs. In my experience they have always done a fair job of standing behind their product. 
By charliemccraney - 6 Years Ago
The FBO is advertised to be a new distributor.  I'm thinking they modify a new Pertronix III small block distributor to fit.
Correct Charlie. He's a good guy. I've talked to him a couple times and He helped me out without a single expectation.He will also recurve the distributor to your specifications. The customer service alone offsets the price in my opinion.
By paul2748 - 6 Years Ago
I friend of mine just received a part for a MSD - says made in China

62bigwindow (9/22/2018)
FBO for sure. MSDs quality has been slipping. From what I've been hearing they are outsourcing to the Chinese.

By 30 coupe - 6 Years Ago
Thanks for the information on the Dist.  this is something I will keep in mind.
By Rono - 6 Years Ago

On my blower motor I am using an MSD dizzy. It's an older version but I'm using it with an MSD box for boost control. The "Plug and play" aspect is really nice.I wonder if the new FBO dizzy's are compatible with an MSD ignition box? I'm thinking probably not.
By LordMrFord - 6 Years Ago
I dont know about vacuum or centrifugal stuff but stock locked dizzy can distribute sparks with no problem in 900+ hp Y.
Cap and rotor were over ten year old.
Reason why we changed to wasted spark was high rpm's and single coil's charging time.
By miker - 6 Years Ago
Rono, I’d give them a call. IIRC, an MSD can be triggered by almost anything, and I think a “Hall effects” will work. I’m assuming you’re using the boost retard module. I’ve used an MSD timing computer for complete timing and boost retard on one motor. Allowed me to keep the loado with the tach drive and use the box to provide a centrifugal advance function.
By Rono - 6 Years Ago
Thanks Mike! I'm still learning about the relationship between boost and spark retard. I was told today by a local dyno operator I went to talk to that the dial on the box, marked 1 to 4, will change the timing from 1 to 4 degrees for every pound of boost so that on long cruises you can make the motor run cooler by putting more advance into the timing (I think). The motor may not perform as well, but you won't have a melt down either.

By LordMrFord - 6 Years Ago
More advance on boost -> cooler, more power, total destruction by knocking more closer.
Luckily Y wants to puke the head gasket first. It's much cheaper fuse than piston.

...and engine wont work properly with too low advance.
By cuda66 - 5 Years Ago
Good Morning Gentlemen:  I'm the owner FBO Ignition, I am the one responsible for all the design and engineering on our specialty computer controlled ECU's and the line of modified distributors.
The FBO Y-Block Distributors that we build start out as a NEW Late Model Ford as Factory Cast style distributor built by Pertronix ignition with the Ignitor 3 module.  We lengthen the shaft to fit the Y-Block and install a 14 tooth gear which is Y-Block specific.  We then set the total mechanical advance with our limiter system to allow for more initial timing and set-up very specific to your application whether it's all stock or a highly modified application or anything in between.
We do have this unit with an Ignitor 1 trigger (special order) that can be used with a MSD 6AL by connecting it to the white points wire, however the Made in China issue has already been discussed here on MSD Products reliability and longevity problems.  Look at the Daytona Sensors CD Ignition with Made in America Quality and reliability with many more features at a much lower cost.  We have them in stock at $449.00 with Coil compared to factory at $595.00.  It will give you the ability create a 3D Map of your timing curve or run the advance curve in the distributor whiscruber you prefer.

The Pertronix Ignitor 3 technology is loaded with features, Start Sensor Technology (In creases coil soak at crank RPM and increases output voltage for quick clean starting) Built in REV Limiter (We set it for you as part of our curving procedure), Multi spark to 10,000 RPM (MSD reverts back to a single spark at about 3000), Pertronix warranty on the module is 2.5 years compared to MSD at 1 year (FBO warranty's our workmanship for 5 years). Stock Ford 5.0 cap and rotor available at any Auto Parts store for 12-$15.00 compared to the MSD cap at $40 plus shipping, Red with Male Cap connections (you'll need a new set of wires).  If you dig deep in their tech info you'll see that the MSD distributor may not fit in T-Birds and some full size cars and firewall modifications may be required..... simple to do, 5# hammer and beat the body seam back to clear.  The FBO unit will drop right in with no clearance issues.

These old Y-Blocks will not run with today's modern fuel formulations, ethanol, injector cleaners, in tank fuel pump lubricants and many more additives to reduce emissions. You must run a distributor with Vacuum and Mechanical advance to get the combustion chamber temperatures hot enough to "Ash" these chemicals and get them out of the motor if you want your engine to run correctly, cleanly and last.
The old Y-Block distributors are calibrated to the exact Stock carburetor as delivered from the factory for each specific engine with no modifications and that includes the fuel you put in the tank.
There's other advantages to this new Pertronix distributor.... Lower support bearing, adaptive dwell technology, Peak Current firing point, reverse polarity protection and memory safe data settings.
It comes down to the simple fact that your factory carb and especially the ignition installed on your Y-Block were designed to run high octane Leaded fuel and if you want your engine run properly you need to do some upgrades to match the choices we have at the pump.

By miker - 5 Years Ago
cuda66, welcome to the site, and thanks for your explanation of what it is you build. With the lack of rebuildable cores, I’m sure some members will find it very helpful.

It was just a coincidence, but the first time your name came up on this site I had driven thru Cottage Grove the day or so before. Coming home from the Reno Air Races to the Seattle area. Day or two sooner, I would have called and seen if I could stop by.

Since Jim Wright built the H-1 replica there (which I missed seeing) I always notice Cottage Grove.