Lost Keys

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic137452.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By oldcarmark - 6 Years Ago
I have misplaced the only Set of Keys for my 56. Extensive searching has not located them. What is involved in getting the Trunk Cylinder out without damaging the Housing and can Housing be reused? Just drill the center of the Lock Cylinder and the Tumblers will desintigrate or? The Ignition Switch I assume just grind down the Pin to release Cylinder? I have given a Door Cylinder to a Locksmith and hopefully He can make a Key which will fit Ignition and Doors saving those from having o be replaced.  Did You know that the right Door Cylinder has Key Code on it which if You had the correct Ford Key Manual would be possible to make Keys? Thanks
By dbird - 6 Years Ago
A similar question was asked a couple of years ago, and my advice would still be the same.  Pull the ignition switch or one of the door locks and take it to a car show and ask everyone with a 66 or earlier Ford, 64 for Galaxies, if you can try their key and see if it works.  If you can find 10 keys, my bet is one will fit.  The advantage of the ignition is if you can't copy their key, you can get the cylinder out of your switch, then replace that tumbler and the door locks with a matching set.  Ditto for the trunk which will be much easier if you have a young friend that can crawl through the backseat area and undo the trunk latch.  If you can find someone with a key you can copy, the glove box lock might be the same and you just need to match that.  I will also add that changing the locks was one of my favorite updates as the previously vague ignition felt like a new switch and my unmatched door locks now matched, making life easier.
For what it's worth, when I was much younger, a friend and I would take our keys to the local dealer and walk the lot to see how many we could open; usually a few.  Additionally, one of the ignition keys that came with the Thunderbird fit my 56 F100 ignition.  There were probably only a few different combinations when new.

Don
Good suggestion. I was using the Keys to install a new Ignition Switch using the old Cylinder and was finished.Went to reinstall the Switch and now can't find the Keys. Looked everywhere including my Workbench and everything stored underneath in case they got knocked off the bench. Car, Garage Floor,and anywhere else they might have ended up. 6   Hours no Luck. Must be Somewhere. Just can't locate them. Not very smart to only have single Set.
By pintoplumber - 6 Years Ago
Could you have locked the keys in the trunk? I did once and pulled the back seat out to gain access.
Never opened the Trunk. Very annoying. 
By FORD DEARBORN - 6 Years Ago
What more often than not works for me when this happens is:  Sleep on it, wake up to a new day and new ideas/thoughts will happen!
By slumlord444 - 6 Years Ago
This is the reason I have a spare set of keys for prety much everything I own.
By DryLakesRacer - 6 Years Ago
Ditto on the Glove box... it's the same as the trunk.....
By Lord Gaga - 6 Years Ago
Your keys were stolen by the neighbor kid.
Either that, or your wife hid them. Don't ask me how I know.
LOL
quote]DryLakesRacer (6/9/2018)
Ditto on the Glove box... it's the same as the trunk.....
[/quote]
Not a matching Set anymore. Changed at some Point.
By Kahuna - 6 Years Ago
This is neither helpful nor funny, but my 56 had 4 keys when I got it.
One for the trunk, one for each door (different) & one for the ignition.
A fellow called 32 Phil on the Barn fixed my dilemma
I have yet to try a key in the glove box.
Hope you find your keys today, mark
Regards
Jim
By DANIEL TINDER - 6 Years Ago
You are just lucky this happened when the car was at home. MY ignition tumbler failed late at night when I was out in the middle of nowhere. Good thing hot-wiring a 50s car (if you can get the hood open) is so simple a 10 yr. old could do it! Bite the bullet and buy a NOS ignition/door tumbler set, and avoid what happened to me (more seldom used glovebox/trunk locks will likely be fine with a little graphite, assuming you ever find the keys or can make dupes).
I am actually working on the Car in my Shop. I installed a NOS Ignition Switch using the original Cylinder. Checked to make sure it worked properly before putting it back in the dash. Put the Keys down Somewhere and got doing something else. Later in the Day I went looking for Keys and couldn't locate them. Looked again Today for couple of Hours. No Luck. I am hoping the Locksmith can make a Key for at least Doors & Ignition. Find out Monday. Otherwise I guess I will be buying a complete replacement Set. Moral of the Story as We know-make a Second Set of Keys.
By 30 coupe - 6 Years Ago
They did not happen to slide down between the top and bottom of the front seat cushions did they? It happened to me before.  I had laid them down on the seat while I was working on the inside of the car.    just a suggestion
Checked. Still looking.
By 57RancheroJim - 6 Years Ago
They will show up right after the locksmith leaves..
I took a Door Cylinder to Locksmith Friday. I will check Monday and see if He can make a Key or not. If not I am going to order a complete Lock Set and replace them. I have checked everywhere at least 3 Times and no luck.
By Meandean - 6 Years Ago
Had a buddy couldn't find his key. 

Finally/eventually it was found.  He had absentmindedly put it in the watch pocket of his jeans.  And when he checked his pockets he would fish down into the pocket and come up empty.

Also, check on top of the visor
By 56_Fairlane - 6 Years Ago
I've misplaced keys a lot. Often times I put them in my coat pocket and when it gets too warm, I take the coat off and forget about the keys until I start looking for them.
Back to my Original Question. To remove the Trunk Cylinder without having a Key do I just drill through the Slot where the Key goes in which I assume cuts off the Pins which will allow Me to turn the Cylinder and open the Trunk. Then I can replace the Cylinder with a replacement using a Key? Should be able to reuse the Chrome Lock Housing?
By paul2748 - 6 Years Ago
As far as the trunk is concerned, if you  cannot get into the trunk by removing the back seat, use a number of extensions to access the bolts that holds the catch.  I have done this on occasion
By PF Arcand - 6 Years Ago
Mark: Very annoying I'm sure, but those keys are there some place! Try to picture your movements at the time, & retrace your steps.. Have your wife or someone else help you search.. Good luck..
By Town Vicky - 6 Years Ago
Isn't the glove box key the same as the trunk?
I never did find My Keys. I had a Locksmith make a Key using Door Lock which should have been same as Ignition. Looks like someone changed the Ignition Cylinder. Keys wouldn't work in Ignition.I had not tried the Ignition and Doors when I had the Keys .Bought this Car a Month ago and never tried all the Locks. I bought an Ignition Cylinder and carefully drilled the Pin and changed it. .According to previous Owner the Trunk and Glovebox were also not matching as original. so I can't get a Key made using Glovebox. I will be changing Trunk Lock also. Lesson learned.. Make sure You have a spare Set of Keys.