automatic transmission front seal leaking - Using type F fluid

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic136780.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Rick Lamprecht - 6 Years Ago
My Ford-O-Matic front seal leaks on my 1957 TBird.  Using Type F fluid.  Not all aftermarket additives are compatible with Type F.  What works, without damaging the tranny?
By Hoosier Hurricane - 6 Years Ago
Replace the seal, that won't hurt the transmission.  I know that's not what you wanted to hear, since you have to pull the engine to get to it.
By 55 GLASS TOP - 6 Years Ago
Take a look at the front pump bushing when you pull the seal out check for wear some time the converter wobbles and causes premature wear on the seal OR it might just be a dry old seal 
By MontyRay56 - 6 Years Ago
After you've repaired your leak, DO NOT use Type F fluid. I know this sounds contradictory, but Ford hasn't used Type F in their transmissions since the late 70's. Use Mercon Dexron III and your trans will last longer and shift better.
By PF Arcand - 6 Years Ago
Further to what Monty says.. the subject of type F in Fordomtics has come up before. Seems like the way to go, but original mid 50s spec's in Fords (like my 57 car) was Dextron, not Type F..    
By 57RancheroJim - 6 Years Ago
The early Fordomatics used type A
By oldcarmark - 6 Years Ago
Dextron II is the recommended replacement for Type " A" not Type "F'.
By 2721955meteor - 6 Years Ago
when you have the converter out check the pump drive tangs for wear,if worn you will be wise to repair the condition as well as the front pump bushing.and driven tang. or you will be doing it over again.