rocker arms

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic136657.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By darrell - 6 Years Ago
anyone know where to find the self locking screws for y block rocker arms.ive looked just about everywhere.
By paul2748 - 6 Years Ago
I have a bunch of them - how many do you need?  Will send them to you for shipping cost.

PM or email me with how many and your zip code.  Will  figure shipping
By darrell - 6 Years Ago
thanks paul but i was just checking for a friend.i dont think you can buy them.
HUH?? - I was offering them, not trying to buy them

darrell (5/4/2018)
thanks paul but i was just checking for a friend.i dont think you can buy them.

By darrell - 6 Years Ago
i wasnt trying to buy or sell.a fellow i talk to asked where he could buy a new set.i dont think you can get them.
By KULTULZ - 6 Years Ago
MAC's supposedly has them- https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mercury_late/rocker-arm-adjusting-screw-312-v8.html

I would ask from where they are sourced.
By Cliff - 6 Years Ago
These are the same as an FE Ford or a 215-223 Ford six 
By Tedster - 6 Years Ago
MAC's displays a picture; they've been "discontinued."
By KULTULZ - 6 Years Ago
Tedster (5/19/2018)

MAC's displays a picture; they've been "discontinued."

...hmmpf...

Sounds like my sex life...

KEY WORDS... Especially highlighted in RED...Crazy

By KULTULZ - 6 Years Ago
OK, let's try this again.

While the PN has been discontinued by FORD and possibly outside supplier(s), it seems it is still available on their tractor side, FORD-NEW HOLLAND or whatever they go by now.

Tractor PN E7NN 654-AA seems to be the latest PN. The car parts number B6A 6549-C has been superseded a few times but the description sounds correct.

https://www.messicks.com/part/c2de6549a/screw

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ford-Motor-Co-Valve-Rocker-Arm-Adjusting-Screw-P-N-C2DE-6549-B1-Set-of-Six-NOS-/282961090097?hash=item41e1cb9631

-Read description on EvilBay site.

EGGE may have a source but will have to wait until MON to call.
By john2747 - 6 Years Ago
rocker arm self locking:in the 1980's ford had a V-6 engine that they put in Ranger pickups it used adjustable rocker arms
  with self locking screws that are the very same as the screws used in y-blocks and solid lifter fe ford engines.Found this
   out by accident. Happy hunting.

john2747
By PF Arcand - 6 Years Ago
Seems to be some confusion on this inquiry. (??)  Anyway, a side note. If the requested one piece adjusters are to be used in earlier rockers by chance, the thread is different, they won't work in original 2 piece adjuster rockers.. 

P.S.- apparently I'm informed that'information is incorrect..
I have to disagree with that statement.  I had to use a one piece in place of a two piece and had no problems with it.  Did it about five years ago.  The only thing about it is that there is very little adjustment left once you got to the .019 position.  I just changed it this spring as I got a two piece adjuster.

PF Arcand (5/27/2018)
Seems to be some confusion on this inquiry. (??)  Anyway, a side note. If the requested one piece adjusters are to be used in earlier rockers by chance, the thread is different, they won't work in original 2 piece adjuster rockers.. 

By Gene Purser - 6 Years Ago
My experience is like Paul's. I put a new shaft in one side of my engine and used the best of several rocker arms I had. I put the two piece adjuster in an arm that had the one piece adjuster in it and the threads felt perfect.
O.K. I may stand to be corrected..  But lets look at this again. Gene says he put a 2 pce adjuster into a rocker arm intended for a one pce & it was o.k. I  was referring to the opposite, so can't comment on that working o.k or not.  Paul says he did it the other way & it worked o.k.. That surprises me because the thread is an interference type on the ECG-xxxx B2, 1957 rockers. Now, is the interferience thread built into the arm or the adjuster.? .. Anyway, I'm really scratching my head now, because in issue #143 of Y-Block Magazine, there's an article c/w photos of the different rockers used on Y-blks. You've got me reviewing this subject. Obviously I didn't read it thoughly enough, because I've got a set of rockers here that are ECG-xxxx B2, which are the 1957- 1:1.54 rockers with one pce adjusters. I mistook them for 1956 rockers, (which are suffix A1) & I thought someone had used one piece adjusters in earlier rockers, because none of the adjusters work properly. With a 10" spanner. I can barely if at all turn the adjuster on most of them. Now, I'm I'm thinking they may be adjusted to far down, or rusted in the threads or someone may have put thread locker on them.?  Looking into it tommorrow. - Thanks       
By Gene Purser - 6 Years Ago
Paul, I know what you mean about some of the one piece adjusters being hard to turn. When I discovered one side of my rocker assy had a worn shaft and rocker arms, I dug an old set out of the attic to see what i could salvage. The attic rockers had pretty good bores, but had hard crud in the little oiling holes for the push rods and the valve stem oiling. I elected to take the one piece adjusters out for access to the oiling holes. Some of them were really hard to remove. When some of them were put back in they were noticeably less tight. I'm no expert on these, but I did read somewhere that the interference was in the threads of the adjuster, not the rocker.
Paul & Gene; I've got sidelined re this subject, will get back on it when I can..
Returning to this subject;  The article on Rocker Arms in Issue 143 of Y-blk magazine by Lindsay Shoemark out of Australia, is quite extensive. It lists 4 types of Ford factory rocker arms & early aftermarket Magnesium ones by  Howard & Thomas. Only 2 factory units are 1:1.54 ratio. All others are 1:1.43 ratio. I was under the impression that the 1:1.54  ECG **** A2 rockers with 2 pce adjusters were from 1956.. but the article doesn't indicate that, so that is a ??.
I thought that someone had tried to convert the ones I have here from two pce to one pce adjusters, but it's been pointed out previously that's not the case. Most of the ones I have here that are near impossible to adjust are the 1957 ECG **** B2 units c/w one pce adjusters. I've taken to soaking them in solvent & then applying penitrating oil. Today with some effort, I was able to remove some of  the adjusters, clean the parts well & get  three of them to work reasonably well. It's a slow process & some of the shaft contact services are too worn to be considered re usuable... It should be noted that old used ones often have one or both oiling orfices plugged with dirt or sludge. It's very important that those oil orfices be clean when reasembled..
Re the Thomas rockers-  Somone on this site or in Y-Blk mag had indicated that they had information that they were prone to failure. Many years ago a buddy of mine bought a set. Used in his Drag car for a short time, yes one did fail, it snapped right in half !.      
By john2747 - 6 Years Ago
  I would say both answers are correct. Nut locking rocker arm bodies are threaded normal 7/16" NF [20 TPI] .The rocker arms are drilled or reamed to 25/64" [.3906"] before they are threaded.
   Self locking type rocker arm bodies are drilled or reamed to .397" to . 398" before threading 7/16" NF--- yes,they have larger inside diameters.The larger bore dia. creates a larger flat on the top of the internal threads.
   The two piece adjuster screws have normal 7/16" NF 20 TPI threads and can be used on either nut locking or self locking style rocker arm bodies.
   The self locking type adjusters have a normal 7/16" NF 20 TPI threads, for the first two turns.the rest of the adjuster threads have a shallow depth with a wide flat at the bottom of the thread [modified thread] The diameter of the flat bottom is about .400"-.401".When the self locking adjusters are screwed into a rocker arm that was made for them the flats on the tops of the internal threads create interference with the bottom flats of the adjusting screw. So both rocker arm threads and adjuster threads create the tight fit.
   I just measured the inside thread diameters of seven EAN rocker arms one rocker measured .398". I screwed a self locking adjuster into it,and it screwed in fine with 3 ft.lbs. of torque.So if the older nut locking rocker arms [1956] have there bores reamed to .397" they would be converted to use either type of adjusting screw .                                                   
                                          john2747
Interesting..  thanks John.
By KULTULZ - 6 Years Ago
"I was under the impression that the 1:1.54  ECG **** A2 rockers with 2 pce adjusters were from 1956.. but the article doesn't indicate that, so that is a ??"

ECZ-A2 (two piece adjuster) is early 1956 and ECZ-B2 (one piece adjuster) is later 1956. There was a production break/upgrade somewhere in the year and all info was deleted from the 49/59 MPC FINAL ISSUE. It shows only a Service Replacement of C0AZ 6564-A (1960 PN). The 63 292HD with the Allen screw adjuster would be described in the TRUCK MPC of the period.
By marcanders - 6 Years Ago

Paul-

do you still have them? I need them for my 56 Thunderbird. PM me at mra01@hotmail.com.

Marc

Marc - still have them - sent you an email
N.B.- I was going to enquire of Rocker Arms Unlimited re Y-Blk valve train parts or rebuilt units etc.. However, noticed they are in Redding Calif. This is likely not a good time to bother them with enquirys, due to the terrible fire situation in that area...  I hope all is well with them & anyone else on this site that might be from that area.. Best wishes!.. 
By 1960fordf350 - 6 Years Ago
I didn't want to start a new thread cause  I have a question about rocker arms.   I'm going through my arms,  and I have a set that are on new shafts and have supposedly been reworked.  However,  about half of them still have wear spots from the valve tips still showing.   You can see they've been ground on,  but not enough to remove the spots.   Is there a limit of how much material you can remove?    They are on new shafts and don't have any sloppiness on the shaft part.   
Don't know about a grinding limit, but it sounds like someone maybe ground the ones U have just enough to allow a feeler guage to work properly...
By Tedster - 6 Years Ago
Have the rocker bores on those been rebushed, or honed? I think that's the important part. Many Y blocks were run without adequate oiling up there and the rocker bores and shafts exhibit heavy galling and scoring on the underside. I wouldn't worry too much about the rest of it.

Although, for whatever it's worth - the Ford shop manual says

"If the pad at the end of the rocker arm has a grooved radius, replace the rocker arm. Do not attempt to true the surface by grinding." (emphasis theirs)

Wonder why they had their panties all in a wad about this? If maintaining the proper radius is a concern, there are rocker grinders that do just that. Done all the time. Surface hardening only so deep? Maybe, but Y rockers in general are getting a little tough to find and/or spendy when you can get them.
By Ted - 6 Years Ago
Tedster (8/16/2018)

Have the rocker bores on those been rebushed, or honed? I think that's the important part. Many Y blocks were run without adequate oiling up there and the rocker bores and shafts exhibit heavy galling and scoring on the underside. I wouldn't worry too much about the rest of it.

Although, for whatever it's worth - the Ford shop manual says "If the pad at the end of the rocker arm has a grooved radius, replace the rocker arm. Do not attempt to true the surface by grinding." (emphasis theirs)

Wonder why they had their panties all in a wad about this? If maintaining the proper radius is a concern, there are rocker grinders that do just that. Done all the time. Surface hardening only so deep? Maybe, but Y rockers in general are getting a little tough to find and/or spendy when you can get them.

The concern by Ford likely centers around the finish, the radius, and the depth of the grinding performed by people not really trained to do that.  And then down the road at a later date, ‘regrinding’ again which simply reduces even more depth and possibly getting into softer material.  If I was a dealership back in the day, I’d definitely be putting new rockers on rather than refurbishing.  As you mention, refurbishing rockers is now a way of life now that the engines have been out of production for a half a century.
I was asking  because if I can dress the rockers myself,  I would.   I have a friend who has a Black and Decker valve grinder that he says I can play with.   There is a rocker grinding attachment for $95 on Ebay.   If I had the dimensions I could make it myself.   That way I could get rid of the divots in those rockers that still have them.   I just wonder how much can come off before you weaken them to unusable.
By Tedster - 6 Years Ago
1960fordf350 (8/18/2018)
That way I could get rid of the divots in those rockers that still have them.   I just wonder how much can come off before you weaken them to unusable.

Can you post a pic or two, representative of the rocker tips that still have them? Interesting question. The next question is, what did they do to address the rocker bore wear, honing or sleeving?

Had to hunt around a bit and buy them in onesies and fivesies etc., but was able to put together a complete set of NOS stock ratio 6564 rockers for an average of $5 - $7 per delivered.
OK here's a couple pics.   All these rockers shown were on the same shaft.  The shaft is new,  was part of a never fired rebuilt 312.  The rockers aren't rebushed,  maybe they were honed a little.   No looseness or wobble on the shaft on any of them.    I know Tim McMaster has a video of rebuilding rocker arms where he grinds them.   Don't know if he has a limit where he considers them junk.  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/29f2f2ca-615d-4b12-b22b-3d6d.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/5fa8b19d-49ac-4f4c-bf01-60a1.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ce2deb39-a22f-4ca7-9eed-2686.jpg
By Tedster - 6 Years Ago
I don't know, but to me it sort of looks like they were hit with a wire wheel, not refaced. Those worn rocker tips are a good example of why using a flat feeler gauge to adjust the valve lash often provides innaccurate or inconsistent results. On the heads I rebuilt the rocker tips weren't so bad as those, but the rocker bores and rocker shafts were trashed, heavily scored and galled in spots due to poor oiling "back in the day". This is unfortunately common with as-found Y Blocks today. Were it me and I had to use them, reface them keeping the same radius.

Maybe you know this already, there is a place out in California that rebuilds them, Rocker Arm Specialties. The clearance between bores and shaft is spec'd @ 0.002" - 0.004" wear limit 0.007" ; this affects overall oil pressure.

I have a streak of stubbornness coupled with a dislike of re-installing defective parts. It takes just as much effort to remove, disassemble, clean everything up, reassemble and adjust everything with worn out parts as it does with new or serviceable parts so whenever possible I like to use new parts and make sure everything is according to Hoyle.

I found for example upon inspection just about every single pushrod was actually slightly bent or had excessive runout + the worn rockers and shafts. Slop and excess clearances in each valve have to be taken up first before that valve will begin to move. Too, everything slopping around means the valve rocker will never hit the same spot on the valve stem twice in row or have the same valve timing/lash. Depends on how picky you want to be and how much $$ you want to contribute to feeding your OCD like me.