Exhaust leak noticeable only when driving

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic132840.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By 56_Fairlane - 7 Years Ago
I notice what sounds like an exhaust leak when I drive my 56 Fairlane with 292. I changed to a 57 B manifold and Autolite carb and it runs good but I hear a pfft pfft pfft when driving it. I don't hear it idling nor when I rev it at a stop. I checked for loose bolts and tightened the few I found but no change. I even plugged the heat line to the choke but no luck. I haven't seen any signs of exhaust soot around the intake nor at the exhaust manifolds. For something so seemingly simple it has me stumped.
Any suggestions where I should concentrate my search? I don't recall hearing the leak when I had the original intake and carb.
By DryLakesRacer - 7 Years Ago
Sound dumb but did you plug both ends of the tube for the choke thru the exhaust crossover heater. On my dual quad manifold I found the rear tube leaked and made the sound your discribing. I had to plug both ends and use the front one for the rear carb which has the choke.
By oldcarmark - 7 Years Ago
56_Fairlane (9/24/2017)
I notice what sounds like an exhaust leak when I drive my 56 Fairlane with 292. I changed to a 57 B manifold and Autolite carb and it runs good but I hear a pfft pfft pfft when driving it. I don't hear it idling nor when I rev it at a stop. I checked for loose bolts and tightened the few I found but no change. I even plugged the heat line to the choke but no luck. I haven't seen any signs of exhaust soot around the intake nor at the exhaust manifolds. For something so seemingly simple it has me stumped.
Any suggestions where I should concentrate my search? I don't recall hearing the leak when I had the original intake and carb.

I had a similar Noise that I couldn't find.  Wasn't there when idling or revved up in Neutral. Only when Engine was under Load. Finally figured out the Gasket between Exhaust Manifold and Head had burned out at lower rear near Firewall. Couldn't see it visually from Top. Only noticeable under Load. The Manifold Flanges on mine are  not flat and won't seal to Head without Aftermarket Gaskets.You might consider that possibility. 
By John Didde - 7 Years Ago
there two heat riser holes one on each side of the manifold make sure you plug both, plug may have come out of one. my 56 merc sounded the same found open heat riser hole plug it stoped noise, I now have both sides pluged 
The other hole on the drivers side of the manifold appears plugged but I haven't messed with it since getting it from the guy I bought it from. I did find a few loose exhaust manifold bolts and I went ahead and tightened all of them. The one that was a real pain was the rear passenger bolt. There's no way to get a socket on it yet alone a wrench. I had to alternate between a few different 12 point wrenches to tighten it. Maybe that's where the leak was. It was the loosest bolt of them all.
56_Fairlane (9/24/2017)
The other hole on the drivers side of the manifold appears plugged but I haven't messed with it since getting it from the guy I bought it from. I did find a few loose exhaust manifold bolts and I went ahead and tightened all of them. The one that was a real pain was the rear passenger bolt. There's no way to get a socket on it yet alone a wrench. I had to alternate between a few different 12 point wrenches to tighten it. Maybe that's where the leak was. It was the loosest bolt of them all.

I had to take the Rocker Cover off to get a "stubby" 9/16 Wrench on that Bolt. With Cover off its easy. Wouldn't surprise Me if that's your Leak.Tried mine without Gasket before I replaced it and leaked badly because Flange is not Straight. 
Oldcar you're right, it would be easier to remove the cover to get to that bolt. I'm not going to mess with it today since it's Sunday. I'll give it another look next Saturday when I have some more time.
If you want to try the Gaskets I mentioned they install without removing the Manifold. Just back off the Bolts and the Gasket slides in between Head and Manifold. Rock Auto has a very good Price on them I ordered 2 Sets because at some Point I will probably have to replace them again if they burn out. Once every 2-3 Years.
oldcarmark (9/24/2017)
If you want to try the Gaskets I mentioned they install without removing the Manifold. Just back off the Bolts and the Gasket slides in between Head and Manifold. Rock Auto has a very good Price on them I ordered 2 Sets because at some Point I will probably have to replace them again if they burn out. Once every 2-3 Years.

I think I'll try the gaskets. It already has gaskets so there must have been a problem before. I found I had some Felpro exhaust gaskets for a Y-block but only one for the manifold. I was surprised they were for a Y-block because I bought the set when I replaced a broken exhaust manifold for my 94 F150 with a 302. I never checked the applications on the box.
Do you have a link for the Rock Auto gaskets?
Rockauto.com. Select Ford year model engine and click on Exhaust. Listed as Exhaust Manifold Gaskets.Come as a Set of 2 including Pipe to Manifold Gaskets.
By Gene Purser - 7 Years Ago
rock auto list two brands of exhaust gaskets: Fe-Pro and Mahle. I used Fel-Pro a few weeks ago and they sealed well for now anyway.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1955,fairlane,4.4l+272cid+v8,1338601,exhaust+&+emission,exhaust+manifold+gasket,5400
Thanks, I knew the main site address but I was wondering if there was a particular set to look for. I've gotten numerous results when I searched parts for some of my other cars.
Gene Purser (9/25/2017)
rock auto list two brands of exhaust gaskets: Fe-Pro and Mahle. I used Fel-Pro a few weeks ago and they sealed well for now anyway.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1955,fairlane,4.4l+272cid+v8,1338601,exhaust+&+emission,exhaust+manifold+gasket,5400

The Mahle/Victor Reinz are a special Price. Same thing as the Fel-Pro just cheaper. That's the Ones I bought. They do the Job until they burn out. I bought 2 Sets to have on Hand. Cheaper than buying a Manifold. Can Manifolds be fixed by Machining? Anyone know?
By 57RancheroJim - 7 Years Ago
http://stores.ebay.com/Soupys-Gaskets
I've been using these for years with great results.
I'm sure you can find a machine shop that could mill the flange..
Gene Purser (9/25/2017)

I missed seeing this post. That's a great price!
Thanks.
I replaced the passenger side gasket. If it wasn't for the rear bolt it would have been real easy. It wasn't after I replaced the gasket that I realized I should have replaced the exhaust pipe gasket at that time. There's no way to get pipes off with the manifolds installed. If the studs would have come out with the nuts then there might have been a chance.
I haven't driven it yet since it was raining today. Maybe next Saturday will be nicer.
56_Fairlane (10/1/2017)
I replaced the passenger side gasket. If it wasn't for the rear bolt it would have been real easy. It wasn't after I replaced the gasket that I realized I should have replaced the exhaust pipe gasket at that time. There's no way to get pipes off with the manifolds installed. If the studs would have come out with the nuts then there might have been a chance.
I haven't driven it yet since it was raining today. Maybe next Saturday will be nicer.

If You take the Rocker Cover off that last Bolt is easy using a "Stubby" 9/16 Wrench. A regular 9/16 can be used for final tightening.. The Flange Gasket should be replaceable if You can undo the Nuts from Studs. If You have to undo the Muffler Hanger that should allow enough movement to pull Pipe down.Otherwise undo the Nuts and take the Exhaust Manifold off. Its about the same amount of Time I think.
I did have the rocker off for the rear bolt and it was easier than the time I was tightening it. It made a difference. I also used a shorter box wrench although not a stubby so I used my favorite offset 9/16 to finish tightening it.
The exhaust pipe runs through a section of the frame so there's not enough room for the pipe to drop down enough with the studs in place. I'm hoping the passenger gasket was the problem.
I had a chance to drive it today. Same issue after replacing the passenger side gasket. I'm beginning to think the intake manifold may be the issue because I don't recall hearing any exhaust leak with the original intake. Could the heat riser area of the intake leak enough to cause a sound? That's the only place I can see what appears like light signs of exhaust soot but it could just be heat discoloration too.
I'm almost thinking about going back to the original manifold and carburetor. Who does good work on T-pots?
By Dobie - 7 Years Ago
Try this guy, if you're on the fordbarn.com forum you may know him. He rebuilds teapots and gets boffo box office from his customers.
scicala

Yes I've heard of Sciala and that he has a good reputation and expertise. I don't need really need show quality, just quality. I hope I can afford his work.
By Rowen - 7 Years Ago
I bought 2 teapots from him and thought his price VERY reasonable!! Contact him. I believe you will be pleasantly suprised. And yes, the quality is beyond reproach.
I think I found the leak. I took the intake off and saw some soot around this mushroom looking plug on the drivers side. I'm hoping this was the source of the leak.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d63d83da-32af-41c9-aef7-d031.jpg
By 56_Fairlane - 3 Years Ago
I finally found the source of the leak. It turns out it wasn't even an exhaust leak. The source of the sound was caused by the vacuum lines being switched at the top of the fuel pump. It made a phfft phfft sound that sounded a lot like an exhaust leak. Oddly it sounded like it was coming from the passenger side but that wasn't the case. I changed the the passenger side exhaust manifold gasket. I eliminated the heat riser thinking it was the source but it wasn't. I even put the original A intake manifold back with the teapot and that didn't help. I was really stumped. The sound only occurred while accelerating. I couldn't duplicate the sound while the car was standing still and revving the engine. The thought of switching the two vacuum lines around on the fuel pump came out of the blue. Sure enough that solved it. I would have never thought the pump lines could be switched and cause problems.
Finally the problem has been solved!
By stbart - 3 Years Ago
congratulations! good find. I'll keep that in mind to always do good marking when removing vacuum lines.  I don't know about you, but I always sleep really well after I find/fix an oddball problem!