1956 Crown Victoria Door Latch repair

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic132367.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Danny - 7 Years Ago
I am in the process of repairing the door latches in my 1956 Crown. I am also replacing the driver side vent window assembly. I have been told that everything inside the door has to come out. If anyone has detailed instructions on how this is accomplished, please let me know. I have removed the upper interior door garnish and the interior door panel. I have two specific questions on issues I don't know how to handle. 
1. There is a bolt at the bottom of the lower leg of the vent window assembly that I had to apply heat to remove. It is a slotted stud maybe 3/8 inch in diameter and 1-5/8 inches long. It had a nut and washer on the outside of the sheet metal and what appears to be either a threaded washer or undersized washer on the back side of the sheet metal. The threaded or undersized washer will not budge. I assume the slotted stud is used to make adjustments to the vent assembly. Is this bolt an original to the car or is it something installed to get by? Is a new one available?

2. There are two stops along the top of the inside of the door under the door garnish molding that are held in place with two clips. How are these clips removed and reinstalled? 

By ErnieL - 4 Years Ago
That slotted stud you refer to is an adjuster for the glass run. It’s threaded into the glass run and doesn’t need to be removed. All you need to do is remove the nut and washer and, once all the other screws and retainers are removed, the stud will push into the door, and you can lift the entire thing out the top of the door, rotating the vent assembly 90 degrees to clear the bottom bracket as you get to the bottom of the glass run.

Easy Peasy. Smile

Why do you want to remove those two clips? They’re just for holding on the garnish molding. I don’t recall removing them on my 55 Crown, but I’ll run out and look at my 56. But I think those clips rotate 90 degrees to remove, although don’t quote me on it.