Temp sending unit bushing

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic130757.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By 62bigwindow - 7 Years Ago
I going to pull the intake off my engine to block off the exhaust crossover, having heat issues with carb. While I'm at it I want to install a temp bushing in the right head. How tough of a job is this? I was thinking that freezing it in dry ice would ease installation but is there a tool needed or anything I may need to know or watch for?
By pintoplumber - 7 Years Ago
I think I just used a block of wood and a hammer.
Did you put any sealer on it before installing or is the fit tight enough to seal it?
By DryLakesRacer - 7 Years Ago
I've never done it but Permatex #2 never hurt anything in my book other than getting it off my fingers.
By pintoplumber - 7 Years Ago
I probably used some pipe dope.
By John Didde - 7 Years Ago
I drilled and taped a hole to the side and behind the thermostat, that I can tell the temp of the water going into radiator, I am using a SW gauge that I will install in glove compartment
What size hole did you put in your intake?
By John Didde - 7 Years Ago
I got a heat sending unit from Speedway it is only 1/8 inch, you could go as big as 3/8
By dbird - 7 Years Ago
I drove mine in using an old piece of pipe the correct size for the threads as a driver, I don't recall using any sealer.  Chose the spacer in the right head after pricing drills and taps.
Don
By charliemccraney - 7 Years Ago
Since you're dealing with an aluminum intake, the best course of action is to have a bung installed in the thermostat area.  That will ensure plenty of threads for a good seal and it is the best place for a sender.  You can get weld in bungs at Summit Racing and other places.  Pressure test before installing to ensure that the weld is good.