Help! Cylinder head transplant

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic127669.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Unibody1962 - 8 Years Ago
Can I put 1962 (C1TE) HD trucks onto a 1956 Truck (272)
I understand the intake valves are larger and the compression ratios differ slighty. 

I have a fresh pair of CITE heads and would like to see them go to use.

Has this been done? Excuse my ignorance. I'm not that mechanically inclined. 

Any help appreciated. 

Mike

By Ted - 8 Years Ago
The C1TE heads have the small intake valves.  You didn’t give the casting number on the heads you already have which could have the intermediate sized valves if they are the 1956 heads.  The C1TE heads will physically bolt on to the 272 though.  Here’s the link to John Mummert’s site showing some of the various head castings and their intake valve sizes.
http://www.ford-y-block.com/cylinderheadchart.htm
By 2721955meteor - 8 Years Ago
i have a pair of ciet heads that i inst 1.78 intakes in to avoid inserts and fill the chamber a bit,a word of caution is i can only use the old style  plugs as the longer reach could contact the valve with any wear .  very hard hear in canada to find decent y heads.mufs heads just to pricey with 74c  canadian dollar
By 314 - 8 Years Ago
you must be looking in the wrong place i never had a problem getting y heads.picked up an engine this summer with 113 heads.just sold a SET of g heads.
By 2721955meteor - 8 Years Ago
314 (12/23/2016)
you must be looking in the wrong place i never had a problem getting y heads.picked up an engine this summer with 113 heads.just sold a SET of g heads.

where do you live, with all these heads,and if its the us possibly you are not failure with currency exchange. right now a us dollar costs 1,40 canadian. most g heads up hear are junk
By pcmenten - 7 Years Ago
1956 engines had higher ratio rockers and had oil drip pans bolted underneath the rocker stands, so the rocker stands were slightly shorter than 61 rocker stands. I don't remember exactly when the pushrod cup diameters changed, but check for compatibility. Easiest thing  to do is use 61 rocker shafts and pushrods.
By PF Arcand - 7 Years Ago
According to John Mummert, in a recent article, entitled "Random thoughts" issue #137 of Y-Block magazine. Ford did not change the spec of pushrod cups! The original push rods have an inside cup diameter of .375" while the original ball is .360" so clearance is fine at about .015". Unfortunately, some after market performance pushrods are .390"dia & the performance adjuster balls are .375" which should work fine.. but, if performance adjuster balls are used with Ford spec pushrods, it is .375" into .375" & there is little or no clearance for oil & failure soon results. Also, to make matters worse, there are some aftermarket (off shore?) adjuster ball screws that are of inferior quality & are also prone to failure.. ( hopefully I've explained this part of his article correctly..)  I should say that the balance of his article goes into various pitfalls related to our favorite engine & related cars & is well worth the read..        
By 314 - 7 Years Ago
55 meteor i live in eastern canada pei and have never had a problem getting heads dirt cheap.if your in ont with all the swap meets and car shows you shouldnt have a problem.