How many

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic126540.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Sanddoc - 8 Years Ago
Is there any idea of how many  cars\trucks that are still on the road with the Y BLOCK?
Best
By 62bigwindow - 8 Years Ago
Not enough.
By Rowen - 8 Years Ago
Agreed !! :0)
By MoonShadow - 8 Years Ago
Very few! Almost all of them kept running and made it home. Smile
By PF Arcand - 8 Years Ago
I like that last answer!  And as pointed out..not enough.  Unfortunately, the Ford Y-Block was designed just enough ahead of that later popular engine, that it was caught up in big later changes in the market place. Ford's designers didn't realize that amongst other things, big cubic inches were on the horizon, which the Y shaped  block doesn't lend itself too & hydraulic lifters would become the norm, which the engine was not designed for. So, when it was only four years old, Ford had already issued  the new bigger F.E. series engines & religated the Y-Blk as a base option & to truck use. So, after 10 years, unfortunately it was gone..       
By Sanddoc - 8 Years Ago
Thanks for the input, not the answers I was looking for but then. Was hoping to get some hard numbers maybe from car club members..
   So for Fords first small block, it had a good run, remember the FE is considered a BB
 Does anyone have an outlet for the "Studs" used on the intake and carb?
Best

By charliemccraney - 8 Years Ago
One way to come up with a number is to find how many Y Block vehicles were  produced and find out what percentage of 1954-1964 vehicles are still on the road.  Multiply the two and that should be a pretty accurate number.  Not sure if either of those exist, though.

Mopar big blocks, Hemis, Ford FE's, and others disagree that Y shaped blocks don't lend themselves to more ci.
By Sanddoc - 8 Years Ago
I'm sure with some work, I could dig those numbers out of the DOT, don't know if it is worth the time..
   You know how the gov. likes to keep tabs on us.
By 62bigwindow - 8 Years Ago
One thing to consider is how many of the 54-64 Fords on the road have had the engines swapped out. I think it would be almost impossible to pinpoint the exact number.
By LordMrFord - 8 Years Ago
There might be plenty of living and kicking Y's in South America.
By Ted - 8 Years Ago
In my area, many of the remaining vintage and/or older vehicles have been relegated to being driven only on special occasions which makes it difficult in getting an accurate number of how many remain by simply looking for them on the highways.  Car shows and cruise-ins in my area still indicate a healthy number of Y-Blocks still out there though.  They just aren’t daily drivers anymore.  My own ’55 Customline is lucky to get 1500 miles a year put on it now.

One observation I can make is that there are still a large number of 1954 Fords and Mercurys out there with their original 239/256 engines but it’s been well over forty years since I saw a ’55 C h e v y with its original V8 under the hood.  Leaving the oil filter off of those 265 V8’s during their first year of production wasn’t such a great cost cutting measure after all.
By Y block Billy - 8 Years Ago
Lots down under including Tazmania and New Zealand and in the Sweden Finland areas as well.