after Valve Ajustment

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic125825.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By ianmatt - 8 Years Ago
Howdy folks, today I finally got the first valve adjustment after close to 1000 miles on my new 292. I was curious what other things the valve adjustment might have altered. Do I need to reset timing? I for sure had to reset my carb fuel/air. It seemed like it wanted a good bit more throttle after the adjustment. What is amazing is I can now hear my cam too? I have the isky E-4 301444 cam. Also I have an Edelbrock 500 cfm and I have heard that my engine with the mummert intake and headers and cam might like 600cfm a bit better. Thoughts?http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/63acfde3-c33c-4591-bb86-de8a.jpg
By miker - 8 Years Ago
Glad it's running well. Ted recently had a post regarding vacumn secondary carbs and using larger sizes as they only open as needed. How that plays into your combination I'm not sure. I do know that a 500 was marginal on a friends 265, and when we put the 600 on it it was slightly better. Could have been jetting, or just the carb was new. But I wouldn't be surprised with a 292, a cam, and that intake and headers that a 600 would be better.
By 57RancheroJim - 8 Years Ago
Keep in mind what the cam was designed for, lower RPM range and more torque. I use the E4 also. Unless you plan on running at a higher RPM like 5000 you probably don't need a carb that large. It all depends on what you are using the truck for. I only use a 390CFM and thats all I need, rarely see over 3000 RPM and I pulls great and decent mileage..
By ianmatt - 8 Years Ago
Thanks you guys but what about the effects of a valve adjustment? What do i need to do afterwards? Anyone have certain symptoms they noticed after?
By ianmatt - 8 Years Ago
Hey Jim do you have any video of you truck with the E4?
By charliemccraney - 8 Years Ago
A valve adjustment should not cause much of a change at all, assuming it was correct and things were in good condition to begin with.

How much adjustment was required?

RE the carb, 500cfm should be adequate.  However, if you have access to or the money to buy a larger one, I encourage you to experiment.
By 57RancheroJim - 8 Years Ago
ianmatt (9/18/2016)
Hey Jim do you have any video of you truck with the E4?
Sorry no video, I'm 69 years old and not into the hi tech electronics, I'm off the grid, don't even own a cell phone.. I still drive a 57 Ranchero, 60 F100 panel truck and a 66 Mustang because when I open the hood of a new car I don't have a clue what I'm looking at or what to do LOL.
You didn't say what your valve adjustment was originally or what you changed it to?

By Ted - 8 Years Ago
Rechecking the valve adjustment at the 1000 mile mark was the prudent thing to do.  I’d also check the ignition timing at this point as it’s not unusual for that to retard just a bit as the timing chain takes on an initial amount of stretch.  On my ’55 Ford, I typically check the valve lash when I install a new set of spark plugs which is every 40K-45K miles.  I don’t find the lash needing much if any adjustment and the check is only being performed to stay on top of any potential problems before they become catastrophic.
By ianmatt - 8 Years Ago
Thanks you guys for the feedback. I seem to have it running amazing at the moment. I dialed back the fuel pressure to 4.5 and rechecked the entire carb. also adjusted timing a bit. I did a video this morning of my truck. Just waiting on it to upload and I'll post it here. Thanks