Rare F code found

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic125314.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By PF Arcand - 8 Years Ago
Recently while travelling in N. central British Columbia, I had occassion to contact a couple of mid 50s Ford enthusiasts. I was referred to one that showed me what I believe is a very rare item. In an old shed, he had a very dilapidated 57 Ford Sunliner. He stated that as far as he was concerned it was beyond doing a restoration on, but he had hauled it out of the bush near rail tracks, where it had apparently been abandoned for many years. On examining it originally, he noticed that it had a couple of brackets attached to the engine that were not usual. On further examination he concluded that it had been a "F" code car. But the most interesting part is that he let me look at the  VIN plate, which he had cleaned up .. in the bottom slot was printed " 300 F SC" & this is on a Ford Canada built car.. Has anyone else ever seen another Canadian built F code car?  Ford Canada was unable to shed much light on the subject, & told him it was likely a dealer special order car..  
By pegleg - 8 Years Ago
I have not Paul, sure it wasn't a US car imported?

By Cliff - 8 Years Ago
Is that car for sale?
Frank:  The owner said he had little satisfaction trying to get definate info from Ford Canada. I guess that someone had enough pull to arrange a Canadian built one off car or getting the appropriate parts transferred in from the U.S...but the VIN plate says Ford Canada.. Cliff, the cars not for sale & wasn't complete with the supercharger when found. And as stated, unfortunately there's little left to sell. It's in very bad shape, after spending many years in often wet bush or covered every winter in snow..     
By pegleg - 8 Years Ago
Too bad it's so far gone, would have made for a real conversation piece.

By NoShortcuts - 8 Years Ago
Paul.  Many likely think of only the supercharger with regard to the F code engine designation to include the blower, brackets, bonnet, air cleaner housing, hoses and whatnot. 

I'm no F code expert.  Some followers have identified several other engine bolt-on items as being F code only.
- ignition distributor ('Bird and passenger car app. housings)  -  dual point plate, 10 degree dist. cam, different advance springs and vacuum advance chamber
- intake manifold  -   '57 B 4 bbl pattern and Holley 4000 pattern!
- fuel filter unit housing
- crankshaft vibration damper  -  standard and automatic trans. differences AND 'Bird and passenger car differences
- cylinder heads

With the E code units, it's amazing how throttle linkage components, valley pans, air cleaner housings, fuel filters, ignition distributors, and carburetors get separated (lost) when the intakes are removed.  In restoring an F code vehicle, items I've listed above are also likely hard to come by and I'm sure my list is quite incomplete. 
By Cliff - 8 Years Ago
I have a complete F code engine and have been looking for a car for a long time. (car not bird), with a good frame and  Vin plate, the body can be replaced.
Cliff.  Sending you a lead on a '57 F code passenger car.  Sent via email, you have no IM listing on the Forum.
By Shaggy - 8 Years Ago
pegleg (8/31/2016)
Too bad it's so far gone, would have made for a real conversation piece.

There aint anything that's too far gone with enough steel coathangers and O/A gas. Get to welding!
By charliemccraney - 8 Years Ago
It has a light weight racing body.
charliemccraney (9/1/2016)

Ha!  Don't I recall that some of the '60s factory 'light weight' cars had body components that were acid dipped to reduce their thickness/ weight?  -This was in combination with other things having Swiss cheese holes drilled in them to reduce weight but retain some degree of structural integrity.   Smile
Since I posted re the apparently really rare Canadian "F" code car.. does anyone know if "E" code cars were originally available in Canada?  I'll explain why later..
By Oldmics - 8 Years Ago
There were "export"  "E" code cars that went all over the world.
I spoke to Jim about that car several years ago. Interesting story about the find.
Oldmics
By Shaggy - 8 Years Ago
NoShortcuts (9/1/2016)
charliemccraney (9/1/2016)

Ha!  Don't I recall that some of the '60s factory 'light weight' cars had body components that were acid dipped to reduce their thickness/ weight?  -This was in combination with other things having Swiss cheese holes drilled in them to reduce weight but retain some degree of structural integrity.   Smile

A local shop here restored a '63 catalina factory lightweight drag car, alum nose, alum headers(with a tag saying dont let the car idle over 20mins), and swiss cheese frame. The frame had something like 2" holes down both sides and on one rail it was cut from tube into channel. Without the body the thing was very flexable.
http://www.diversstreetrods.com/1963-pontiac-swiss-cheese--body-work--paint.html  Note that the entire bottom of the passenger side frame rail was cut out at the factory
By Lou - 8 Years Ago
What is the letters and number on the frame of the F code convertible? It may have been built in the USA and then shipped to Canada for  final assembly, I've seen several export 1957 cars that this was how Ford beat the import duties.  
Lou: Sorry, I was just visiting briefly & didn't have time, nor was I dressed approprietly for getting into checking frame numbers etc.
Oldmics: So, you know who the owner is of that car?.  My question about "E" code cars was also spawned by my visit there, as he has two of those intake manifolds, one complete with correct carbs and he also has an Edelbrock dual 4 setup.. It was quite interesting for me, as I've never seen any of that stuff in person before. . I should mention now, before this posting stirs up buying interest, that there was no indication that he wanted to sell any of these parts..       
By kellen mcleod - 7 Years Ago
This seems a very knowledgable group, so I'm glad I've found it.

I'm in the research stage for a book on American performance spanning 1949-89. I start with an engine and visit the interesting models that it powered through its years of production.

On the Y block the 1957 E code and the F code are the halo engines. The 1957 T-birds are well documented with production numbers. In contrast, the full-size 1957 Fords with E-codes and F-codes are something of a black hole for production numbers. The great number of different full-size Ford models adds to the lack of clarity. When number certainty is not possible, I take the best estimate from the most informed. 

Can you folks give me you thoughts on full-size 1957 Ford F-code and E-code production numbers please? (I see the thread starts in British Columbia.....and I too am in BC, though no snow in these parts of the province......which is bigger than Wa, Or and Cali put together)
By 2721955meteor - 7 Years Ago
kellen mcleod (2/18/2017)
This seems a very knowledgable group, so I'm glad I've found it.

I'm in the research stage for a book on American performance spanning 1949-89. I start with an engine and visit the interesting models that it powered through its years of production.

On the Y block the 1957 E code and the F code are the halo engines. The 1957 T-birds are well documented with production numbers. In contrast, the full-size 1957 Fords with E-codes and F-codes are something of a black hole for production numbers. The great number of different full-size Ford models adds to the lack of clarity. When number certainty is not possible, I take the best estimate from the most informed. 

Can you folks give me you thoughts on full-size 1957 Ford F-code and E-code production numbers please? (I see the thread starts in British Columbia.....and I too am in BC, though no snow in these parts of the province......which is bigger than Wa, Or and Cali put together)
you might try barrey rutherford  at shadbolt cams,phone him after 6pm,he had profile on supercharged cams and seemed very knowledgable on y block.
i sent him a cam for regrind years ago he called and wanted the cam as he recognized #s he had stamped and it was a blown  bird cam. i traded for245hp regrind. i to live in van

By Ted - 7 Years Ago
kellen mcleod (2/18/2017)
 ....Can you folks give me you thoughts on full-size 1957 Ford F-code and E-code production numbers please? (I see the thread starts in British Columbia.....and I too am in BC, though no snow in these parts of the province......which is bigger than Wa, Or and Cali put together)

The number throwed around for the number of dual quad intakes produced for the various ’57 model E code engines is 5500.  This would include the dual quad intake manifolds for the various vehicle models as well as over the counter sales.  This number originally came from the records at Schmeller Aluminum Foundry in Cleveland.  By the time anyone became interested in some of the Ford car production records, many of those original paper records at Ford had been discarded.  In this particular instance, Schmeller still had the records for the dual quad intakes.

Here’s the link to the original thread where some of the various date codes on the dual quad intake manifolds were being logged.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic63880-1.aspx