Gear ratios with the 3 speed o/d

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic125050.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By junkyardjeff - 8 Years Ago
Is it necessary to have 4.10 gears with the 3 speed o/d trans,if I go with one of those trans in my 55 I was thinking 3.55 or 3.70 gears so in case the o/d quit working the car could be driven on the highway without the motor screaming. Both of my trucks have a auto o/d with 3..55 gears and wondering why a 3 speed o/d  would need steeper gears.
By miker - 8 Years Ago
Personal opinion, having been in Columbus last year. We drove to Cleveland to the Rock and Roll Museum, and to Dayton to the Air Force Museum. 3.55's will work fine for you. Get into the hills on the highway, or passing, 2nd over will work fine. I drive 12 miles to my Mom's house, it's 400 feet of elevation change. 40 miles east, it's 3220 feet of elevation. That's when you want 4:11's.
By Joe 5bird7 - 8 Years Ago
The 3.55 gears will do nicely.....I have higher (lower numerical) than that in my T-bird with a standard and overdrive and very satisfied with it.
By 62bigwindow - 8 Years Ago
My car has 4.10 in it and with the T85 OD it will cruise about 65-70 ok. I think either 3.55 or 3.73 would be alot better. But, where I live it is pretty flat not alot of steep,long grades on the hyways.
By Lou - 8 Years Ago
I had one of my cars for 33 years before I sold it, ran 3.70s with OD, ran great for the almost 40,000 miles I put on it running around New England. If you put a used standard w/od in your car replace the front main shaft bearing before you do, even if it seems good. 
By Shaggy - 8 Years Ago
My all original '59 4 door had 3.73's, the 292 seems to love 70. I dunno if i'd care for it with 3.55's since the stock 292 is kinda gutless in that heavy car, but i'm spoiled since my other daily is a L79 el camino, also with 3.73 gears which really gets moving. 

Rough math for 3.73 gears without OD is 2000rpm is 40, 3000r is 60 ect....
By Ted - 8 Years Ago
My ’55 Customline with the 272 engine originally came with 3.89 gears and the 3 speed overdrive.  In the early nineties I changed the gear ratio to 3.56:1 and haven’t looked back.  The car runs good at either 55 or 75 mph in overdrive and without any issues.