1957 ford tires

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic121503.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By MVP56 - 8 Years Ago
Does anyone know what brand of tire Ford used in 1957? I need tires for my hardtop and want it to be correct. I am buying 7.50-14in but don't know if they used BFG or Firestone. Thanks!
By Lou - 8 Years Ago
Ford used both brands, but the majority were Firestone.

By 62bigwindow - 8 Years Ago
If Firestone was an option I'd go with that. In my opinion they are the best looking WWW tire on the market. I just put a set on my wagon and love how they look.
By MVP56 - 8 Years Ago
Wagon looks great! I agree about the firestone. Beautiful tire! I will prob go with firestone. Thanks for the replies! Marlon
Thanks. Sorry about the upside down pic. Not sure why they do that. You will be happy with the Firestones.
By charliemccraney - 8 Years Ago
Wow, looks like those Firestones have excellent traction.
Charlie I could have saved you a lot of trouble if Marlon had have posted the question before your project traction. All you need is some Firestone and it'll stick so good that it will hang upside down.
By MVP56 - 8 Years Ago
Hey bigwindow, I ordered the tires this evening for my 57. I could only find the firestone 14in tires with a 2.25 whitewall. I run a 2.75 firestone whitewall on all my other cars with 15in rims. About six months ago I put 7.10 15 firestone tires on my 56 sunliner and it made the car look great!!!! I drove it to Austin last weekend from Houston and it was a pleasure to drive! I like my cars how they came from the factory. Though I am guilty of lowering them and or making a traditional fifties custom. But they are all y-block powered and ALL FORD!!!
By paul2748 - 8 Years Ago
Does this helphttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/25ca3981-b516-44d9-a5be-ecf1.jpg
Thanks Paul. I agree with you 100% Marlon. I like to keep stock or slight custom appearance. Defiantly lower them too. My car has Aerostar coils with Versailles spindles and 2" blocks in the back. I think I'm going to go 3" blocks as the back is a little too high for my taste. Be sure to post some pics of your car with the new tires.
By pegleg - 8 Years Ago
Sweet wagon, I really like the looks of that car.

By MVP56 - 8 Years Ago
Bigwindow, I have aerostar springs on my 56 sunliner. Do u know it they will work on a 57? I don't do the internet thing much but do know that 57 springs are for sure different. I'm pretty sure 57 springs are taller and do not have the same OD as the 54, 55, and 56 Fords. I will prob just buy some and see what happens. It shud be fine. I don't like cutting original springs!
By miker - 8 Years Ago
Might start here. Probably a good site for guys with 57's.

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=3635.0
I think they will work on up to 59. There is a couple guys on the HAMB that run them. One has a 57 and the other has a 59.
By '60 Fairlane - 8 Years Ago
A spacer can be used on top of the Aerostar springs to limit the amount of drop they provide. If I can ever find my old TWR spring catalog (lost some where in the basement) I'd be able to give a good guess if the Aerostar springs will work on my '60. Information is thin on their use in the '60-64 Fords, but there is a thread on the HAMB were one person reported excessive drop on the '63 & '64 big cars. Again a spacer used above the spring could possible correct this.
-Dave
I used 3/4" spacers on top of my Aerostars to negate the 1.5" drop from the Versailles spindles. I'm going to see how much the springs settle but the way it sits now I wish I'd left them out. Not quite as low as I want it.
By MVP56 - 8 Years Ago
Picked up my springs yesterday and the tires showed up today!! My plan is to get the car done over the weekend. I live near Houston and we have had record rainfall and flooding over the last few days. It's a mess!!! I'm on call at work because of our situation here. My luck ill get called out as soon as I start working on the 57! Thanks for all the help and replies! I'll keep u guys updated! Thanks! Marlon.
You know we're going to need some pics. I can't wait to see it! Hope everyone gets through all the flooding ok.
By MVP56 - 7 Years Ago
Big Window I know this is an old post but i think i figured out how to post pics from my cell. give me a while and ill see if it works!
By MVP56 - 7 Years Ago
content://media/external/file/27278
By MVP56 - 7 Years Ago
Maybe I don't have figured out! We will see!
By MVP56 - 7 Years Ago
By MVP56 - 7 Years Ago
I finally figured it out!!! I hope! She was in an accident lately and I'm not to happy about it. I was run off the road by a person who was texting. He didn't even stop to see if I was ok. I can tell you from experience that the lifeguard design still works even 60 years later!
By MVP56 - 7 Years Ago
By MVP56 - 7 Years Ago
By MVP56 - 7 Years Ago
By MVP56 - 7 Years Ago
I'll get her back on the road soon as I already have the parts to repair her. In the meantime she is tucked away in the garage with her sisters. It's winter in Texas which is not a big deal. But it has been extremely wet!! Merry Christmas everyone!!