Engine Masters magazine

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic120322.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Larry Short - 8 Years Ago
Just picked up the new Engine Masters mag. WOW ! You guys sure did the Y-Blocks a great service. makes me proud to own one. I'm going to buy a few extra copy's so when I get ask again and again why I built a Y-Block , I'll just hand them the mag and smile.

Larry Short
By charliemccraney - 8 Years Ago
The spring issue?
April 2016 Hot Rod is a good one. too.
By Larry Short - 8 Years Ago
Yes the spring issue . Great cover shot of Kaase's Y and inside of Royce and Ted's engines with great write up about them.
Larry Short
By Joe-JDC - 8 Years Ago
There is a discrepancy in the EMC magazine for 2016 Vintage class rules.  The official site states that the rpm range for Vintage is 3500-6500 rpms.  The magazine states a different figure.  Make sure any of you interested in competing check the official site instead of the magazine for your rules.  Joe-JDC
By Ted - 8 Years Ago
Just got my Spring 2016 copy of the Engine Masters magazine and briefly went through it.  The Y-Block is definitely at the front and center stage in that issue.  It has been a long time coming for that to happen.  Kudos to all that helped to make that happen; I'll put John Mummert at the head of that list for getting the aluminum heads in the market place and for making those heads the great performers that they are.  I’ll have to wait and see if future EM issues will go into more detail on those engines that did not place 1st or 2nd.

Early on there were some comments about making a rule where winning engines could not rerun in the next year’s competition but I don’t see anything specific about that in this year’s rules.  Maybe I’m just overlooking this?  I'm concerned that the Y would not be eligible for this years competition by the same competitors that used it last year.  If someone can point me to the page number in the rules that states something about this, I would appreciate it.  Before getting too heavily involved in putting a Y engine together for this year’s competition, I’ll get with the rules committee on that if there's nothing specific in the rules about this.

As Joe brings up, the official rules are the final word.  The caution here to continue to monitor the rules on a regular basis for rule changes or additions.  The rpm band has been increased to 3500-6500 rpms for 2016 and this allows the camshaft to not be so dyno competition specific and can be more easily repurposed afterwards.  In my case and based on financial constraints, I always have to be looking at how the engine can be repurposed after the competition with a minimum of work and/or expense.
By glrbird - 8 Years Ago
Maybe this one could go in your 57, if you finish it.
By Dave V - 8 Years Ago
Is the Engine Masters magazine available at magazine racks in stores or mini marts?  DaveV
By speedpro56 - 8 Years Ago
Yes!
By speedpro56 - 8 Years Ago
April issue of HOT ROD magazine with a picture of John Kaase's Yblock on the front cover!
By RB - 8 Years Ago
You might have to check several spots to get an Engine Masters Magazine.. Book stores should have it. Also the Kmarts and Walmarts.. Mini marts might have it.. It is hit and miss. It is a quarterly so it should be around for a while.
By Ted - 8 Years Ago
Here’s the cover of the spring edition of the Engine Masters magazine.  I found my copy at Barnes and Noble.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/067d4914-6056-4404-be62-3069.jpg
By Y block Billy - 8 Years Ago
This is the Hot Rod version which I got a couple copies of, I also got a copy of Hot Rod deluxe which has a Picture of Tim mcMasters FED along with a Pic of Royces Mercury and not sure but think its Larry Shorts 56 gasser!
So if I am not mistaken there is another Engine masters magazine with coverage that I am missing???  will have to do some searching!
By charliemccraney - 8 Years Ago
Correct, there is an Engine Master's Magazine, Spring issue and a Hot Rod Magazine, April issue, both with the Kaase Y Block on the cover.  Different pictures of the engine, though.
Engine Masters is quarterly so it should be on shelves for a while.
By Ted - 8 Years Ago
Here’s the cover shot of the Hot Rod Magazine with the 2015 EMC coverage.  The write-ups are different in the two magazines.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/575b1e20-566b-400e-9001-8b6d.jpg 

By DryLakesRacer - 8 Years Ago
It's fun to read all about the different engines and having no dog in the hunt to me it could be better reading and seeing if all the engines conformed to the same or at least similar rules. Examples. Single carb, no electronic or mechanical fuel injections, ignition must be powered at the stock location(no crank triggers), no electric water pumps, cylinder head port arrangement must remain stock for engine as manufactured (intake and exhaust).
Hey it's just what I see.
By CK - 8 Years Ago
I've read the rules posted online, which I read as the actual engines that competed last year can't be re-entered again this year, but not Y blocks in general. I wonder if anyone will be brave enough to enter the Y into the small block class?
I'll try to post the link.