Limited slip

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic118211.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Kahuna - 9 Years Ago
Is there a company that makes a limited slip differential or Posi for my 56 Ford?
I have the stock rear end in the car. I have no idea what it's called or the Mfg. Or,
how strong these are?
Thanks
Jim
By MoonShadow - 9 Years Ago
I've only seen one in my life and it was on EBAY several years ago. I bought it and have it installed in my Victoria. Installer said it was like the ratchet lock rears that came in Mustangs. The box said it was made by "Detroit Gear". They were a famous aftermarket company servicing the big three in Detroit. I don't think they are still around. Perhaps a search of "Hemmings" and other restoration suppliers would find one but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Chuck
By Kahuna - 9 Years Ago
Thankyou, Moon
By miker - 9 Years Ago
You isn't also try calling these guys. They're just north of Seattle, pretty well regarded. They don't show a listing, but they'll probably know if there's anything out there.

http://www.ringpinion.com
Didn't think of them Miker. They are a good all around source and may have some information. Chuck
By slumlord444 - 9 Years Ago
An option is to install a '57-'59 9" housing and no problem getting a Posi.
By Rono - 9 Years Ago
I agree. Using a 57-59 9" is a swap with no major modifications needed. Spring perch mounting locations are the same.  On my Ranch Wagon with the Fordomatic I could also use the same driveshaft.

Rono
By Kahuna - 9 Years Ago
Thanks Guys. I just think it's going to be difficult to locate a 57-59 9" around here
By Rowen - 9 Years Ago
Hey Jim, I can't say fer sure but it might be worth checking with big John at the wrecking yard in Williams. Try this #530 405 6321
Rowen
I was totally shocked when I found the one in my Vicky. I think if I hadn't I would have made the switch to 9" long ago. Now I'll just see how long the original rear end will last. I have a Cougar 9" on hand if I need it. Chuck
By miker - 9 Years Ago
FWIW, after 3 gear changes in my Dana 44, various engine and transmission combos, I wish I'd just bit the bullet and done the 9" in the first place. An earlier rear end that's even more trouble would make it worse.
By Kahuna - 9 Years Ago
Good idea, Rowen
Thanks
Jim
By Rowen - 9 Years Ago
Yer welcome, plz, lemme know what he says.
Rowen
By Kahuna - 9 Years Ago
Thanks Guys.
Yes, Rowen. I plan to to that yard this winter and see what he's got
Thanks for the suggestion
Jim