Y block 289 and '64 Mercury Comet:

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic108008.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By MTN8IVE - 10 Years Ago
Will the Y block 289 fit my Comet?  What 4 speed tranny is needed?

By Brodie55 - 10 Years Ago
289 is a Windsor block, not a Y-block. You are on the wrong forum.
By NoShortcuts - 10 Years Ago
Brodie may be correct.  You may be on the wrong Forum.

Y-block Fords were 239, 256, 272, 292, and 312 cubic inch from the factory.  Telling them apart is another story.

All of the 1954 - 1964 year Ford Y-blocks can be identified by the location of the ignition distributor.  It's in the rear of the engine.

Write us back if the engine you called a 289 has a distributor in the rear.

Hope this helps.  Smile
By MTN8IVE - 10 Years Ago
Sorry, I read the ad wrong.  It is a 239 CU in Y-block not the 289.  I have a '64 Comet with no engine so I am looking for an engine I can use.  I apologize on the wrong forum.  (Not the number one mechanic here!)  Just trying to put my Comet back together and needed some help. 
Thank you,
Chuck
By Lou - 10 Years Ago
Y-block in a comet is a bad idea., lot of work,I mean a lot,most everything will have to be fabercated from scratch. and the Y- is heavy compared to the 260, 289 engines.
Chuck, in the Forum category 'Technical' is a recent thread topic titled, '239 y-block'.  It will give you a quick intro to the nuances of the first year Y engines.  There is a difference in the size of the camshaft journals among other things.

My understanding is that as Lou stated, mounting a y-block in a Falcon or Comet is not easy because of the fabrication work needed for motor mounts.  Original style mechanical clutch linkage would be another challenge that could be simplified with a hydraulic actuated system as was used on some Ford pick-up trucks.

I believe at least one active member of this Forum has done what you've asked about doing, putting a y-block in an early '60s Falcon or Comet.  Consider re-posting your question as something like, 'What's involved in putting a y-block in a '60s Comet?'

Hope this helps.  Smile
Lou also made another good point regarding putting a y-block into a Falcon, Fairlane, Comet, or Meteor, Chuck.
A completely assembled y-block weighs in at ~610 pounds!
A complete FoMoCo 221, 260, or 289 cu. in. engine of the '60s era weights less than that, I'm sure.
Installation of a Y-block in your Comet would likely require changing your front coil springs.

Food for thought...Crazy
By davis - 10 Years Ago
unless he has a South American Y-block with the Windsor heads. talk about hybrid.

By ian57tbird - 10 Years Ago
Not to mention the much greater costs involved and parts availability issues when you deal with Yblocks. Stick with a Windsor, that's what belongs there, and I think they are a nice little motor as well.
By PF Arcand - 10 Years Ago
Not withstanding that this is a Forum about the Ford/Mercury Y-block engine & so on, the idea of substituting one into a Merc Comet is not a good idea. As pointed out, there will be numerous mods required to do it. Further, the 221, 260, 289 & 302  SBF engines are a much lighter engine than a Y-blk, & even lighter than an SBC engine. Best stick with what reasonably fits the Comet chassis..