I need a new 4 bbl. Carburetor - Street Demon or ????

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic105024.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By 54RedTruck - 10 Years Ago

It's time to get a new carburetor for my y-Block. The current 600 cfm Carter AFB  has seen better days and is leaking at the throttle shafts.   It has given 20 years service.

I have a mildly upgraded 272 Y Block in my '54 F100.  It has been balanced and rebuilt by Ted Eatonusing big valve heads and a mild cam upgrade. I am using the FORD ECZ-9425-B intake manifold.  It is used for cruising and towing a boat, soI don't want a fire breathing dragon, and fuel economy is nice. 

I am considering trying one of the Demon Fuel Systems  "Street Demon 625 cfm"  #1900 4 bbls.   Does anyone have any experience with thiscarb on a Y-block??  Does it have thelarge vacuum port for the Y-Block PCV system hose (The Carter has a big vacuum port in its base)?  Is this too much carb cfm for a 272?

Any other 4 bbl.  carbsI should be considering that offer simplicity with a combination of performanceand economy?

Thanks and regards, Jeff

By slumlord444 - 10 Years Ago
How about a new AFB?
By miker - 10 Years Ago
I've ran the Edelbrock 1450 AFB on a stock 292, on that same motor when I put the SN93 on it, and on a 320cid, with the blower. Re-jetted, of course. My F code motor has a highly modified a Holley, for boost, and it's been a pain. I've had Qjets on a number of OT motors that ran really well. I really like the AFB. If your's has a tag, and has been performing well for 20 years, you might buy a new one, or rebuild the old one. You know the jets, rods, springs, etc. Lots of fancy new carbs out there, but sometimes it's hard to beat the "drivability" of the old designs.
By slick56 - 10 Years Ago
The Summit 600 vac secondaries has had pretty good reviews

By Ted - 10 Years Ago

Jeff.  Welcome to the site.  I recently tested a #1900 Street Demon on a 308” Y and it runs well after rejetting.  Primaries were on the rich side but was easily corrected with the the Demon calibration kit.  There will be an article in the upcoming Y-Block Magazine #122 that goes into the 308” build and some of the particulars with the Street Demon that was tested.  The Demon has the necessary vacuum ports at its back to hook up the PCV valve.

Later this week a Summit 600 cfm carb will be run on a 292 with G heads and ECZ-B intake.  I’m currently waiting on some ignition parts for that engine before it can be started up and run in  I've had good results with those carbs on other engines so I don't see it being a problem on this one either.

Thanks for all the quick input, gentlemen.   I didn't know you could still buy an AFB.  Does Edelbrock own/manufacture the AFB still?    Am I right in thinking  Holley Performance owns Demon now??
Perhaps I was wishing for the impossible - to buy a bolt-on carb and not have to fiddle with the jetting and secondary springs, and, and, and .....   carburetors scare me.     Ted's knowledge and dyno are not around the corner anymore!  So Ted, if I buy the Street Demon I will still have to change out the primary's?    Is that a big deal?  How will I know what size to utilize for my application?

Jeff

By charliemccraney - 10 Years Ago
Tuning a carb is not a big deal at all.  The key is to keep track of the changes you made so you can go back if you make a change that doesn't work.

The Edelbrock will be most like the AFB but of the original carter AFBs i've seen, I would not say they are the same.  Very similar, but not the same.  If you get an Edelbrock, it comes with a great booklet going over the theory of operation and how to tune.  While it is geared toward the Edelbrock carb, much of the info is pretty general and can be applied to most carburetors.  It is also available for download from Edelbrock.
By Talkwrench - 10 Years Ago
A simple 390, 450, 465 Holley..? You'll have to make up a base for the hose.  Phil from RPM Ind  [east coast USA]  built a second hand 450 Holley to my specs , quick change kit, P/V , cam  etc for around $250 , I could not tell it was a referb its that good. He also made the base for me .
By paul2748 - 10 Years Ago
Iv'e had very good luck with an Edelbrock right out of the box.  One on a modified 312, the other on a 302.  Both 600's.  If you still have an manual choke, a manual choke 500 cfm should work very well.
By schlockrod - 10 Years Ago
You might think I'm "nuts" , and because I'm old school, you can't beat an Autolite 4100 4 barrel.It's one of the best, simplest and troublefree carbs ever made. Get the larger venturi 4100, if your lucky enough to find a 1958 model that is 669 cfm. If not the big block 4100 is next best, with 1.12 venturi which is 600 cfm. Lastly is the smaller venturi at 1.08 used on 289 V-8 which was 480 cfm. Remember, unless you have a big breather and header exhaust, over carbing hinders performance. If you use a guide for sizing CFM, a 272 doesn't require 600cfm.
By speedpro56 - 10 Years Ago
Have a new never been run 570 Holley street avenger for $300 + shipping. They are a lot more expensive than that but I don't need it at this time. Thought I'd put it on my truck hauler but the carbs to nice for that.Ph: 828-298-2197 or let me know here.
By gekko13 - 10 Years Ago
I completely agree with the  Autolite 4100 recommendation.  It is simple, reliable, fairly reasonable to purchase (though knowledgeable people are buying them up and pushing the price up).  They are nearly fool proof and unquestionably 100% Ford. 
By Ted - 10 Years Ago

I ran a new Summit 600 cfm vacuum secondary carb on a 300 inch Y yesterday and it ran nicely without any hic cups.  These are like a new version of the old 4100's.  Jetting appears to be close enough to run like it is and the idle mixture screws were spot on in their out of the box settings.  Pricing is very good on those carburetors right now which makes them a good buy.  Another choice would be the 500 cfm Edelbrock carb but those are roughly another $100 higher. Based on what I’ve seen with the Summit carbs, that would be a good carb choice for your engine.

By lowrider - 10 Years Ago
I'm with schlockrod & gekko13 on this one. Unless your out to do a bit of racing you can't beat a 4100 for the street. Like they mentioned simple & trouble free.
I am spoilt for choices!  Thanks gentlemen.   

I hadn't really considered a 4100, but I have had good luck with  a simple Autolite 2100 2 bbl. on the box stock 292 in my '56 F350 flatbed.
I took a quick look on Ebay at 4100's with 1.08 bore's and they were all $300++  plus for rebuilts.   The larger bores were listed for upwards 500 bucks??!!  I saw an Edelbrock 1403 500cfm with an electric choke for $315, delivered!  Very tempting.    Is there somewhere else I should be looking for 4100s??

Thanks again, Jeff
By PF Arcand - 10 Years Ago
Jeff: You might try a Mustang club for a 1.08 carb
By stuey - 10 Years Ago

http://stores.ebay.com/GOTTA-FISH-CARBURETORS

never used this seller but there's lots to look at
stuey
By gekko13 - 10 Years Ago
Regarding sources for 4100's, we have all seen the on-line ads quoting remarkable prices but if you comb the swap meets, garage sales, etc., they turn up there too and rebuildable units are far more reasonable.  Rebuild kits are readily available and these carbs are easy to work on.  I'd  have a tough time rationalizing spending $500 on one but I admit I'm a cheap SOB who would rather do it myself and pocket the difference.
By steinauge - 10 Years Ago
I am using an Ebelbrock 600 on my 312 and have had no issues of any kind with it.I would have preferred a 500 with a manual choke but the 600 was on sale--------.Todays retail at my local advance auto for the 600 is 324 dollars.I know you can beat that on the net.