new hot rod

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic104229.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By yalincoln - 10 Years Ago
bought a 84 t-bird at the ford swap meet this spring. just set a 312 down in it. now trying to find everything to make it work. just having fun, thought I'd share!
By Daniel Jessup - 10 Years Ago
Ok, now we need photos on this one!
sorry, pics. didn't work. i'll try again.
By MoonShadow - 10 Years Ago
So it really is an 84 bird. I thought the year was a misprint. Neat idea and you should definetely be the only one. Chuck
By Canadian Hot Rodder - 10 Years Ago
That is SO cool!!!!  New meets Old!!!!  Most guys are putting modern fuelie motors in old cars, nice to see a reversal for a change!!! Smile  

If I ever win the lottery, I want to buy a #'s matching 57 fuelie vette and drop an F-Code Y-Block in it!!!!  LOL  Can you imagine the look on the scrub guy's faces when I pop the hood at a Super Scrub show!!!!  Tongue  

By slick56 - 10 Years Ago
yalincoln (5/7/2014)
bought a 84 t-bird at the ford swap meet this spring. just set a 312 down in it. now trying to find everything to make it work. just having fun, thought I'd share!

You're gonna need a hood scoop on that one!

no, hood will clear with a low cleaner. cross member is real close, i'll need to make a pan, and the starter hump on the bellhousing will need to be cut off. we're going with an FMX for now, mabey an AOD later on. I just assembled a .030 312 to use for now to get everything set up. looks like I might have to use stock exhaust turned around and run down the front and back. brake booster is real close. right now I'm about 1" back from the stock mount position, gives me about 1" between dizzy and firewall. don't have the trans yet, so don't know what trouble i'll run into. I do have access to a ford-0 for checking the fit. looking for a 58 and later flywheel to see what the tooth count is. going to use a late FE starter if I can match up a drive.  working with a very low budget for now, just trying to make things work.
By Y block Billy - 10 Years Ago
Love it!
By slumlord444 - 10 Years Ago
Guy I used to work with back in the day had a '55 Chevy with a loaded 289 Ford in it. Did it just to piss the Chevy guys off. Supposedly ran well and was competitive in the class he ran it in.
update, because of pan clearance I had to put 1/2 in. plates under the motor mounts. moved the engine forward about a inch to fit in the original frame mounts. looks like I have enough room for a homemade pan. I can still close the hood with a 2" aircleaner, but no spacer under the carb. looks like i'll have to run the exhaust down the front and back. still looking for a flywheel and a aluminum bell so I can use a FMX. all the junk yards have cleaned out all the old stuff when the price of scrape went up. looking for something to pop up on ebay. may have to save up for an adaptor to use a AOD. it's hard to do anything on a budgit these days.