USA Parts Supply moving to Cadillac only - no more FoMoCo

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic103522.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Daniel Jessup - 10 Years Ago
I heard it straight from the horse's mouth. Some of you may use USA Parts Supply up in Kearneysville, WV, to supply you with repro Ford parts. I have not used them since the 90's but since they were only about 1 hour from me I decided to visit their "store" and warehouse. Suffice to say, the welcome was not warm. I literally had to explain to the two parts employees what a T86 Ford transmission was and that the part I held in my hand was a countershaft lol. They did not even get up from their desks. I had to walk over to them... when they got done telling me that "no one has got that" and that "you've got to have a machine shop make that" etc, I asked for a Ford catalog. They basically said that they were not going to bother, they are "getting away from Ford parts."

I turned around and walked out.

What they have left in Ford parts I have no idea, but do not trust their website.

By The Master Cylinder - 10 Years Ago
Wow! Sounds like nice guys...w00tw00t
By slick56 - 10 Years Ago

There used to be this "thing" called Customer Service....
By 56_Fairlane - 10 Years Ago
I'm glad I don't own any more Cadillacs.
By NoShortcuts - 10 Years Ago
Hi Dan.
Try Northwest Transmission Parts in Ohio for the countershaft that you need for the Warner T-86
Their web address is nwtparts.com/

IF the countershaft is chewed up, take a good look at the inside surface of the cluster gear where the needle bearings run.  The cluster gear bore may be messed up, too.  Be sure to get new needle bearings with the countershaft even if they do appear to be 'okay'.

I can't take credit for the lead.  Frank Rice (ReBop) recommended them to me.

Let us know how you make out.

Regards,
By Daniel Jessup - 10 Years Ago
thanks for the lead... I talked to a guy named Mac Van Pelt today who told me that the side load 3 speeds that I (and I guess I would say "we") call a T86 is not a T86 at all. The T86 is a topload transmission. He said that I had just a Ford transmission. I know the case is different from a normal 55/56 Ford 3 speed. I wonder if Ford ever put an overdrive behind the "paper trans" we used to call them? one weird factor is that there is no parts diagram for the transmission I have in front of me (with R10 overdrive too) located in the 1949-59 parts manuals. Odd. Not one of those exploded views matches what I have. And I know that what I have is not an odd animal. I just picked up another unit, EXACTLY the same, from a 1956 Ford Victoria.

At any rate he has the countershaft and new needle bearings and I am ordering them tomorrow.

Question: What is that transmission called then?