Cams, Valves, Lifters for 292 Interceptor

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic102941.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By raleypc - 10 Years Ago
I am rebuilding my 1958 185HP Dearborn Interceptor (292 Y-Block w/two Carter YH carbs) in my 1958 Century Resorter speedboat and I have a few questions. The original block and heads (EBZ-G...sob) have damage due to salt water so I am rebuilding what I think is a 56/57 automotive 292 (EBZ-C heads)

1. The original cam had wiped one lobe. I have a used original in reasonable condition from the 56/57 motor. Should I use this, buy a stock replacement for $70 -$80 from Dennis Carpenter, or invest in aftermarket mid range cam (Erwin 210/210 for example) at around $215. The rpm range is currently 700 to about 4200 WFO when in perfect tune. It would be nice to get a few more ponies around 4000 to 4500 that could equate to few more MPH, however, smooth idle is important.

2. I understand that earlier 351W valves can be used to some benefit in small valve heads. The stock intakes are 1.78 in the EBZ-C heads and the 351 valves are 1.84. Any benefit in my operating range or should I stick to the stock sizes? The 351W spec a tad longer...is that a problem?

3. I plan to replace the lifters. Are the ones on ebay at $100 a set (likely Asian origin to OEM specs...so they say)to be avoided? The cheapest I found for a USA made set is $175.

Thanks!

Paul R.
By Y block Billy - 10 Years Ago
Check with John Mummert, he should be able to point you in the right direction for cam. My brother and I picked up a marine setup from a 61 Century resorter and I believe the guy said he cruised at 5 or 5.5 grand rpm with it all day long no problem so you should be able to get more rpm's than that.
Thanks! I will check on that.

The marine V-8's of that era (1950's)were usually rated (or de-rated if you want to call it that) around 4000 rpm plus or minus and were propped so that full throttle resulted in that maximum rpm. The only exception for Century's, at least in the 50's, was the Cal Connell Cadillac motor with 2 x 4's rated at 325 hp at 5000 rpm or so. The 1960's saw rated rpms rise some. You friend may have had a lower pitched prop or just a strong motor in his Century!
By miker - 10 Years Ago
4000 rpm was the "propped limit" on the 413 Chysler I had many years ago. And we had a 549 Palmer (as I recall) that was spec'd for 3500. So, I think your on the right track. An old boat guy, who still remembers like I don't, should be able to help.
Whats spec'd and what people run are 2 different stories, people like to push the limits. I was being cautious with my car shifting at 4000rpm the first time I ever raced at Columbus and as I recall Ted said don't be scared, try shifting at 5500, so far she has handled it fine!
By charliemccraney - 10 Years Ago
raleypc (3/19/2014)
3. I plan to replace the lifters. Are the ones on ebay at $100 a set (likely Asian origin to OEM specs...so they say)to be avoided? The cheapest I found for a USA made set is $175.

Spend the money on quality made in USA lifters. You won't save any money by going cheap here.
By John Mummert - 10 Years Ago
While the 351W valves look like a good idea you will find the keeper groove is .395" down the stem instead of .200" for the Y-Block valves.Avoid the $100 ebay lifters.
Thanks to everyone who replied. I think I have a plan. I didn't realize the retainer location was different for the 351W valves so I think I will stick to the stock -C Y block valves. In case anyone else is following this thread for a marine application, Mr. Mummert advised me off line that the likely limiting factor with the Dearborn Interceptor conversions is going to be the two Carter YH carbs, so that any potential gain from an aftermarket cam will be minimal. I think that the total flow from the two Carter YH's is about 300 cfm. They sure look cool though!
By slick56 - 10 Years Ago
JMummert does  larger stainless valves for the C heads, you will mostly need larger exhausts anyway as there is no lead anymore.
He also does everything else...
By 2721955meteor - 10 Years Ago
I would go for a regrind on the cam,as older cores ar usually better material than new stuff. most made in us cams use blanks from china.ther is colt cams in abetford bc,who has lots of y block knowledge. i prefer shadbolt cams in vancouver canada. he is a camshaft gurew. just tell him the application and hp you hope for.i use 1957 312 4v grind,but marine may want a diferent grind. try to find a core with the grove for rocker lube. 
colt# is604 856 3571,he is close to us border,(blain wa) he most likely has a po box there which saves time and cost. his specialty is the cumin's used in dodge trucks. he re faces lifters as well.he has his own blanks cast in the us for the cumins and is,wher i got the info on chines blanks ground in us. shadbolts # is604 732 9505, in my opinion he is more knowledgable on y blocks. he refaces lifters as well. i have used both with no issues. colt did 2 merc cruser cams and lifters(the 1/2 of a 460 with 1 head off 460 and alum . block
I would suggest Cam and lifters from Mummert or Schumman's, quality is checked and not compromized!