Air Filter sizing...

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic101387.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Daniel Jessup - 10 Years Ago
Fellas, I am taking a small ECG 2 barrel Air cleaner (for a truck engine so it has the curved lip on the air horn of the carb) and removing all of the original packing to clean and restore the entire assembly. A number of you on the site have done the same to those old oil bath filters. How do I go about finding out which air cleaner I need once I get my measurements pretty close? Is there a handy website I can go to that lists filters by size/dimensions?
By Park Olson - 10 Years Ago
NAPA/WIX catalogs have dimensional information
ive looked at several manufacturer website catalogs... K&N, Fram, Purolator, Wix, etc and cannot find anything that allows a customer to look up an air filter by size. I need a 6.5x3.5 inch round air filter. I am sure it is oddball.

EDIT: scratch that... just looked at the K&N website again and found a dimension lookup but they did not have anything
By Hoosier Hurricane - 10 Years Ago
Daniel:

The local box stores and farm stores in my area have catalogs in their filter display area with the size information in the back. I've seen Fram, Purolator, AC, and Motorcraft catalogs in the local stores with that information. Are you looking for 6 1/2 diameter and 3 1/2 height, or 3 1/2 ID? Your local parts stores should also have the paper catalogs, if you can find someone who knows where they are.
Hoosier Hurricane (2/25/2014)
Daniel:

The local box stores and farm stores in my area have catalogs in their filter display area with the size information in the back. I've seen Fram, Purolator, AC, and Motorcraft catalogs in the local stores with that information. Are you looking for 6 1/2 diameter and 3 1/2 height, or 3 1/2 ID? Your local parts stores should also have the paper catalogs, if you can find someone who knows where they are.

therein lies the conundrum! yes, I am looking for a filter that has an OD of 6.5 inches and overall height (flange included) of 3.5 inches.

Hopefully I can get down to CARQUEST this week.
By charliemccraney - 10 Years Ago
You could bring a tape measure, pull them out of the box and measure.
By Glen Henderson - 10 Years Ago
I just took my housing down to the local NAPA, told the guy what I was doing and after a little digging he came out with a filter that fit pretty good.
Fellas thanks for the advice... I hit the jackpot after finding one of the veterans at CARQUEST. He brought out a good air filter parts ID book and knew how to use it. It took 5 minutes and we were in business. It turned out very nice.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/d4fde173-01b2-40d3-bee1-dba1.JPG

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/be14a41f-351c-4f65-b3c9-b66d.JPG

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/4cc85505-e36c-449a-b9cd-29db.JPG
By chiggerfarmer - 10 Years Ago
Damiel, you surely must have a reason for not wanting the oil bath style air cleaner? I'm just wondering if it seemed to be too much trouble, hard to clean, or you just don't like them? I have always thought they were an asset, not to mention cheaper to maintain than buying those overpriced replacement filters. Just curious, thanks. Smile
Back when I ran my 55 day in and day out as a teenager (that was 1991 or thereabouts), I had the oil bath air filter. Worked well, but it was a messy deal with the oil, etc and getting the screen completely clean was NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE. There is no way to get 100% of the junk out of that filter packing unless you cut up your air cleaner and remove it. The dry, replaceable, filter element makes things easier and cleaner for daily drivers.

I don't know all the reasons, but in the 55-57 time frame, that was when FoMoCo transitioned the Ford cars to dry elements. I wonder what all went into the decisions. I imagine convenience? maybe it was part sales?

I would assume that for performance sake the dry element is a better choice too.